IMG_0851.JPG
IMG_0850.JPG
IMG_0860.JPG
IMG_0858.JPG
IMG_0859.JPG
IMG_0847.JPG
Material

1/8 x 3 foot metal rod $1.98
3/16 white nylon rope 50 feet $7.34 (you can make 3 vines out of 50 feet)
Two zip ties .10 cents
Rubberized dip (optional) ($6.98 can dip 30 vines)
One drill

Total per vine $5.20

Take a drill motor and insert nylon rope and metal rod in the chuck and tighten down on both. As your drill is spinning thread the rope around the metal bar. You are wrapping the nylon rope around the 1/8 metal bar the drill speeds up this process and make the rope become very tight around the rod.

When the bar is wrapped cut and fold inward then zip tie both ends. Next dip the ends in the rubberized martial.

You can bend the bar into any position. It is quite strong.

I will post one more DIY vine this afternoon.

Last edited:
Me wonders how white nylon holds up to a high moisture and UV environment. Still its gotta hold up better than cotton.

Me wonders how white nylon holds up to a high moisture and UV environment. Still its gotta hold up better than cotton.
  • Nylon. Rope made of nylon is most appreciated because it is very stretchy. It absorbs a lot of energy, fact which makes it dangerous if it breaks. Other than that, it has excellent strength and it is not affected by UV light, chemicals or any type of rot. Commonly found in mooring lines, it is great for sailors too!
http://survival-mastery.com/diy/useful-tools/types-of-rope.html

Nylon is very hardy, it will not degrade.

IMG_0854.JPG
IMG_0855.JPG
IMG_0857.JPG
IMG_0856.JPG
IMG_0862.JPG
IMG_0861.JPG
DIY Vine

Here is a thicker DIY vine.

Materials
1/8 x 3 foot metal rod $1.98
1/2 inch poly braid rope 100 foot long $21.98 (makes 33 vines)
Rubberized dip $6.98 (optional can dip 30 vines)

Total price per vine $2.95

Start threading/stitching the metal rod down the middle of the rope. Twist and turn the rod as it makes it way through the middle of the rope. Once it makes its way to the end cut rope off. Dip both sides in the rubberized coating. (Optional)

• Nylon. Rope made of nylon is most appreciated because it is very stretchy. It absorbs a lot of energy, fact which makes it dangerous if it breaks. Other than that, it has excellent strength and it is not affected by UV light, chemicals or any type of rot. Commonly found in mooring lines, it is great for sailors too!
http://survival-mastery.com/diy/useful-tools/types-of-rope.html

Nylon is very hardy, it will not degrade.

Yea i was thinking of nylon zip ties, if they are not black than means zero uv protection and they crack like crazy out doors.

I have two concerns about this:
  • The metal rods rusting in the moist environment.
  • The material holding moisture and any bacteria, or crap.
I don't know how big an issue moisture would be or if the nylon will dry up quickly like wood does, but the rust potential doesn't sit well with me, not when it could get on a leaf or something they drink water from.:unsure:

Last edited:
At $2.95 per vine if they degrade you could just toss them, oops, I mean recycle them and make new ones. That beats the ~$20 you pay for the commercial vines.

Back
Top Bottom