DIY rain dome?

tdotcham

I purchased a mistking hoping to help aid his hydration levels throughout the day when I was working full time. Now that I'm back in school, I've disconnected it as my guy hates the mist and after running he is always at the bottom of the cage hiding and very dark. As much as I like the convenience, its not worth constantly stressing him out.

I wanted to know if anyone had any instructions on how to make a rain dome using the current misting nozzle I already have. I was checking out these rectangular planters that I could put on top of the cage and drill a hole, however I wanted to know if there was a technique rather than just spraying the mist in a container and on the mesh. any help is appreciated

you are probably better off with a dripper or just buying the rain dome from aquazamp but you need the T fitting instead of the L so you can hook aup another line. If you search you can find out basically what it is and it's just not worth the hassle of making one IMO.

That's too bad.

My system is an ultrasonic humidifier which is much less intense than actual falling water on the chams but still builds humidity and supplies drinking water,

beginning of the day i throw some ice cubes on top of the cage and let them melt and drip for some extra water / rain effect, paying $100+ dollar for something that does the same thing is a lil nuts in my opinion but people do what they're comfortable with

I made my own "rain domes" They work great! I used the cheap plastic pots some of my house plants came in. I just mounted the nozzles in the tops and aimed them down towards the screen. It is actually the screen that catches the water and forms the droplets that then rain down into the cages. I've found longer mist times to work better than short ones, longer times allow more water to build up on the screen and also give your cham time to figure out if it's thirsty or not. Cheers!

I made my own "rain domes" They work great! I used the cheap plastic pots some of my house plants came in. I just mounted the nozzle in the top and aimed it down towards the screen. It is actually the screen that catches the water and forms the droplets that then rain down into the cages. I've found longer mist times to work better than short ones, longer times allow more water to build up on the screen and also give your cham time to figure out if it's thirsty or not. Cheers!

Another idea I've tried for my leaf frogs who do NOT want to be flooded with spray. I got aquarium tubing and perforated it at intervals and arranged it around the inside top of the cage. Also tried this with small diameter pvc pipe. When the pump (a smaller aquarium pump rather than the Mist King) ran it produced lots of drips aimed onto the foliage. Basically you end up with rapid drips in lots of spots instead of one dripper. You can run the system on a timer, it doesn't produce a major spray that the chams/frogs avoid. This, along with periodic ultrasonic fogging really helped.

Another idea I've tried for my leaf frogs who do NOT want to be flooded with spray. I got aquarium tubing and perforated it at intervals and arranged it around the inside top of the cage. Also tried this with small diameter pvc pipe. When the pump (a smaller aquarium pump rather than the Mist King) ran it produced lots of drips aimed onto the foliage. Basically you end up with rapid drips in lots of spots instead of one dripper. You can run the system on a timer, it doesn't produce a major spray that the chams/frogs avoid. This, along with periodic ultrasonic fogging really helped.

I'd kinda would like to see that set up. Got any pics?

That's too bad.

My system is an ultrasonic humidifier which is much less intense than actual falling water on the chams but still builds humidity and supplies drinking water,

beginning of the day i throw some ice cubes on top of the cage and let them melt and drip for some extra water / rain effect, paying $100+ dollar for something that does the same thing is a lil nuts in my opinion but people do what they're comfortable with

Some people are just comfortable being nuts :rolleyes:

Last time I had a plumber at my house I asked him about helping me build a rain system. My idea was pvc connected to my home's RO system; line the pvc (with holes to allow dripping water on many spots) over the cages and control it with some kind of valve/timer. Too bad I never followed through.

haha, thats true summoner... Why not?? it makes life so much easier than constantly have to worry. lets you enjoy keeping them much more rather than seem like a chore.

I'm going to rig something up and mount in the mistking nozzle... see how it works do a little prototype.

I used an old 5lr water jug/container, cut it in half, and rigged up a spare mist king nozzle inside it. Works great.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1317295988792.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1317295988792.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 326
Back
Top Bottom