DIY question about a planter box under an enclosure

AstroHutt

Hello! I found a wood planter box at a second hand store that is just the right size so that my reptibreeze screen enclosure fits along the lip of the box. My plan is to foam the gaps and put in some pond liner and use it as the base of the enclosure and do a bioactive setup.

My question is how to best secure the enclosure so it doesn’t topple over. The size is such that it won’t fit in or around the box, but directly on the lip. My first though is to do something similar to what Bill Strand did with the Dragon Ledges and fasten a strip of wood or aluminum to the frames of the enclosure that is parallel to the lip of the box, then attach another strip that runs perpendicular to the first piece that goes down to the planter box and secure it there. I figure doing that on 2-3 sides would be enough.

Anyone here have any other suggestions?

I made my own planter for my enclosure. Make sure it is waterproof (Mold could grow). You can waterproof it by spraying some flexseal on it.

My buddy and I built giant planter boxes for my atriums as well. We put a lip of wood around the edges. Used pond liner like you said. Make sure to seal the wood as mentioned! I slacked on the one and it's starting to rot at the bottom where I have the drainage. Something I'm going to have to handle this spring.

Here's a picture of one stand from almost a year ago.

Attachments

• 20180711_200016.jpg
    20180711_200016.jpg
    306.5 KB · Views: 443
I waterproofed it with liquid flex seal and loctite foam. Mostly I just need to figure out how to secure it, but I appreciate you checking. Can I ask how you installed the lip around your boxes? The box has already been built. I thought about just putting some pieces of wood up on each side, or doing some braces like I mentioned. Thanks for the input, your atrium looks amazing!

I also just fabricated a planter box underneath. So far Millie my Chameleon is loving it. Help with humidity. I really need solid help with live plants, I'm so nervous to put anything it there that could make her sick.

I really need solid help with live plants, I'm so nervous to put anything it there that could make her sick.

I’ve looked at a bunch of different plants. If you’re looking for safe, you can always do umbrella, ficus, money trees for centerpieces and pothos as a vine are always safe. I’ve got a red anthurium which is pretty and a hibiscus which is growing but yet to bloom. I also found a prayer plant and tropical pitcher plant in lieu of pothos. Both are striking.

For anyone who followed this thread, here is the final product. I went with James’s suggestion of a lip and it is definitely cleaner than doing the brace idea. Thank you for the input!

Attachments

• A27E20DC-565D-4A8F-9505-CE15697C75E2.jpeg
    A27E20DC-565D-4A8F-9505-CE15697C75E2.jpeg
    208.2 KB · Views: 352
Thank you! I meant to ask, did you staple on the pond liner? I have never used it, and my concern is that I didn’t sand down the foam well before I sealed it with flex spray, which may make it hard to create an effective seal with the liner. I filled the box 1/4 with water and didn’t see anything leaking, but only gave it about 5 minutes.

Thank you! I meant to ask, did you staple on the pond liner? I have never used it, and my concern is that I didn’t sand down the foam well before I sealed it with flex spray, which may make it hard to create an effective seal with the liner. I filled the box 1/4 with water and didn’t see anything leaking, but only gave it about 5 minutes.

We screwed it onto the sides under the wood trim. To be honest, when I move in several months, I'm going to have to take everything apart and seal the wood better so I can't speak much on that. I underestimated the humidity and condensation. The enclosure is getting too small for my cham anyway though.

I made my own planter for my enclosure. Make sure it is waterproof (Mold could grow). You can waterproof it by spraying some flexseal on it.
How well has flex seal worked for you are their any other recommended layers maybe plexiglass then flex seal on top of that in order to completely seal off areas or did it do the trick by itself?

It worked well I added a few layers and seemed to do the trick just fine. Haven’t had any issues yet.

I have an armoire im converting and wanted to use flex seal as a way to water proof it because furniture pieces are usually made of different woods im not sure if i wanna add a couple more layers of something or just go with the flex seal and then foam it over.

Attachments

• 20190524_213221_Film3.jpg
    20190524_213221_Film3.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 161
Back
Top Bottom