DIY Project - Shower

Kbomb

Hey everyone,

What are your thoughts about converting an old shower into a chameleon habitat? We are remodeling our bathroom, but a side section will have to remain as it is built into the side of the house. It’s a toilet/shower combo room, but I am thinking about only turning the shower itself into an enclosure. I would replace the front door panel with a screen door and cover the top of the cage with a screen to make sure my guy can’t escape. I think it’s a great idea because the plumbing to the shower will all be intact so it will have permanent drainage and I can use the shower part specifically for cleaning only. Just a few questions on this though.

- Is there enough ventilation with only the screen door?
- What level of cleaning/maintenance would this ultimately require?
- How many/type surface lighting types would I need?

The shower is in a corner and is about 10’x4’x4’
1A7AAD04-2960-48C2-8A80-3A206771A2FB.jpeg

Just the one for a couple months now.
Cool, you doing the remodel yourself?

Lets start with the basics if you don’t mind.
Please fill out the “how to ask for help” form and post your answers back here. Quality pictures will help us help you.

Chameleon Info:
◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------
Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
2 Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:
- Male Panther Chameleon
- 5 Months old
- ExoTerra Large Screen cage 36x18x36
- Reptizoo High Pressure Misting system
- Reptisun 5.0 UVB
- 50 Watt ExoTerra Basking Spot lamp
- T5HO UVB Hood 24”
- Household Cool Mist Humidifier
- Cricket Crack gutload
- ZooMed Electronic Humidity/Temp Gauge

I’ll be furnishing the shower myself and building the screen door/top, I plan on just leaving the grout and tile in there with a screen cover over the drain to avoid impacting the drainage with excess dirt/fecal matter. I’d put a bunch of pothos and a large ‘chameleon approved’ center plant to take up most of the volume available. Which is primarily why I’m asking if anyone has done this before to see if there are any recommendations for cleaning/going bioactive etc.

I think it’d be a really coo unique idea if you know what your doing, my question would be the lighting

Cleaning won’t be an issue. If going bio I’d recommend building a removable bin to put in the bottom for the substrate, at least 8” tall.

Post some pics of the top half of the shower. What are your plans for lighting?

Sounds like an interesting project! If I ever have a second bathroom that I dont need... :p I'm eager to see what you come up with!

I’ll be furnishing the shower myself and building the screen door/top, I plan on just leaving the grout and tile in there with a screen cover over the drain to avoid impacting the drainage with excess dirt/fecal matter. I’d put a bunch of pothos and a large ‘chameleon approved’ center plant to take up most of the volume available. Which is primarily why I’m asking if anyone has done this before to see if there are any recommendations for cleaning/going bioactive etc.
I like this idea! I almost turned one of my giant closets into a Cham home.

Back
Top Bottom