DIY Outdoor Timed Mist

Dankmeleon

Let me first start off by saying I don't currently have the need to mist on a schedule outside. I do however have the need to turn the misting on and I don't like or don't remember to turn it off, which can lead to a lot of wasted water. So imo this is the easiest "quick" solution to hydrating and COOLING your cham on a days above 85(i use a simple technique of surrounding my outdoor enclosures in a combination of low and high foliage, so on the hottest day of the year, the probability that my chameleons will die is extremely low, even if i were to get stranded on the gulf of mexico and couldn't get back, i'm going with the idea that they'll be fine due to all the intensely shaded areas they have to go to underneath, i'm going to be building a walk in 4.5 by 4.5 by 7.5 cage soon as a side note so even though i suck at woodshop, I got the motivation to hook my chams up and at the end of the day, thats how we become better keepers. thanks for checking this out and I'll be posting a lot more diy now that i've developed good photobucketing skills and they've added the bulk uploader :)

In the past I've posted a version, and then a few weeks later i will have got better pics and so on and so forth, so I may need a moderators help to edit it in if i don't get a chance to and so i don't have to make a separate forum and have all this in the intro, thank you :D

parts in this order from the hose:

1. hose timer. I didn't look at this one for a very long time, i use one made by good year its all the same but my timer will stay on for 6 hours not four, even though i'd never do that.
http://www.poolclick.com/web/catalo...es-78072&cid=BDD9CD113E818A127423AEA449E17904
2. {5/8 garden hose to 3/8 adapter.} thats one piece it looks like this http://www.pleasureboatmarine.com/mlm33019w.html you don't have to go to 3/8, they go to all sizes, map it out and use what you have access to, for example the second size could be 1/2.

Now here is where it gets tricky to rock around right on time. people are going to have access to all different things.

for most people they will do this.

say you have a hose on the wall, on the parallell wall opposite the hose, you have 5 cages to the left, 5 cages to the right.(because you have so many you'd want to go from the hose(5/8 in) adapted to a 3/4 or 1/2 inch tubing to pvc line.

the line will run from the garden hose in the wall to center of each side of cages. by this point you have adapted it to something that is easy to work with and by easy i mean the parts you are going to need are available.

at this open pvc line in the center of your 10 cage wall(or 20 if double stacked)

you will connect this line to a "T connector"(the bottom gets connect to your hose) of the size you used. run Equal distance out of the top left and right of your T connector and cap your ends off to form a closed pressure system.

now measure the length of your left and right lines, divide that distance into equal distances for the number of holes you'll need to drill into it to run your misting lines.

1/4 barbed connectors:
take a scrap piece of pvc and drill small holes until you can jam one of these in and it self seals, worse case scenario use a touch of something to seal, i didn't have to seal, cuz the pressure escapes out the misters
3 http://77hydro-store.stores.yahoo.net/irr021.html

1/4 inch tubing: cut equal lengths, remember to leave yourself some room so measure right saves money!
4. http://www.dripirrigation.com/drip_irrigation_info.php?cPath=36_110&products_id=1251

360 degree mister heads
5.http://www.dripdepot.com/1110.html

recap:
all of this can be found at home depot

timer goes in bewteen your garden hose, and your 5/8 to ?(whichever size pvc you choose) adapter then you will have your 3/4in pvc to a t connector in which it will split left and right behind your cages 5 on each side

you drill 5 holes every 8 inches or so depending on how many you are running.
plug in your plug your 1/4 inch barbed connects in the holes, tubing equal lengths to 1/4 inch connects, misters screw right into tubing. dependind what kind of tubing you are using, its a good idea to use mini wire zips (plier tight) around mister and tubing to keep it on there, is not good when they blast off. will post good pics soon may the force be with you

Not really on Topic...I just wanted to throw out the idea... I am setting up my outdoor habitat... I know you said you suck at wood work... I found a good deal on a 6'x12'x6'tall walkin chain link cage... Used on Craigslist for $50... I am having to line it with PVC Coated Chicken Mesh which is proving to be a little costly but the chain link created a great frame for a nice big spacious walk in outdoor enclosure that can even be secured and locked up. It is taking some work .. but thought you should check that out once you get closer to building your walkin... Now I am going to read farther into your post as I am having to rig a mister system for mine.

Back
Top Bottom