DIY Fruit Fly Media?

Jesspete

Avid Member
I have some Vanilla Gorilla Eggs, that are just about to the six month mark. I know it's still early, but I want to be prepared for worst case scenario. Placed an order from Josh's Frogs, to get fly cultures started, and they were "out of the media" and would have it back in "asap". Everyone else's is twice as much, and I haven't heard back from customer service yet, when they expect it in. I will order the more expensive Repashy Superfly, if I must, but is anyone doing this themselves? If so, easy, or just suck it up and spend the extra bread?

Thanks for your input. I did use the search function, but mostly found old threads about fly culture arriving poorly shipped.

My starter colony arrived just fine. I'm not feeding off any right now, and the local store carries some of the actual flies. I really just needed the media, to get my next colonies up and running. The deli cups and excelsior came, but not the media. I did look at Ebay, and there weren't surprisingly a lot of options. Well, at least not any that were 9.99 for 1.5 lbs. I'm sure JF's will send some, it's just a matter of when. I just know if I'm prepared, they'll hatch six months from now. If I'm not, we'll probably have babies tomorrow. I do have some pinheads, so all wouldn't be lost, but ... dang, guess I should just wait for JF's. I'd still listen to input!

You can use instant potato powder, vinegar and yeast. The culture cannot last too long though, you have to make new cultures continuously.

You can use instant potato powder, vinegar and yeast. The culture cannot last too long though, you have to make new cultures continuously.
Add fruit to that concoction and they’ll last longer like apple sauce even baby food fruit those are the easiest ones already blended down ready to go

Back
Top Bottom