DIY Enclosure

jstart1

Hi everyone! I'm still a new chameleon owner and I was thinking about upgrading my chameleons enclosure for her. What I really want to do is custom make it myself, and hopefully save a little money while I'm at it. I was just wondering you guys have any advice/tips for me as I start thinking about doing this soon. Pictures would be helpful also please! :)

I'm in the process of converting an entertainment center piece into an adult enclosure. While it is fun, and my first, I wouldn't use cheaper to describe it. In the end, it will be awesome, fingers crossed. Have had to adjust ideas as I go. Sometimes what works in my head doesn't translate to the build. A few things work better than imagined.

I'm working on screening the doors right now while I let first coat of waterproofing dry.

I'm working on finishing up my 3rd outdoor enclosure and idk about the size you;r going for but ya just a warning, it's rarely cheaper unless you already know what you're doing and buy stuff in bulk, which most likely you won't be doing. BUT IT'S FUN! So do it! Take pics or even videos and get peoples advice as you go! You will learn a lot fast from the community too.

I thought about doing the same but I ended up just getting a cage for $93 on ebay.

Dimensions 24× 24 × 48

I didn't realize it but its HUGE, now my only is how the heck am I gonna furnish it for my Cham.

Yah I don't think there is any money to be saved, but it is fun, and if done right you end up with a far superior enclosure that fits your, and your chameleons needs.

If you want to save money use everything you have currently. I used my chameleons growing cage and got one from craigslist and stacked the smaller one on top of the other. Now I have this HUGE almost 6 ft tall cage in the living room. The whole project used up a day but its worth it.

I'm in the process of converting an entertainment center piece into an adult enclosure. While it is fun, and my first, I wouldn't use cheaper to describe it. In the end, it will be awesome, fingers crossed. Have had to adjust ideas as I go. Sometimes what works in my head doesn't translate to the build. A few things work better than imagined.

I'm working on screening the doors right now while I let first coat of waterproofing dry.

Just wondering what you are using to water proof. I was following your pictures but kinda lost contact over the past week so I havent gotten the updates yet.

Just wondering what you are using to water proof. I was following your pictures but kinda lost contact over the past week so I havent gotten the updates yet.

I have been slacking on updates. Figured I'd do chunks at a time of progress. I found a water based polyurethane (called similar and I can find out tomorrow). I did silicon on edges, then three coats of poly. Let dry and airing out while I figure out new door and screening. Then I'll lay and glue plastic layer and then pond foam to design and final coat of sealant (Not sure which yet).

DONT DO IT..LEARN FROM ME..LOL. Its better going out and buying one..DIY turn into MAJOR MONEY SPENDING..at least our first DIY CAGE was trial and error.But never again...It came out Dope ..just a little unleveled..lol

Attachments

• 20170424_171934.jpg
    20170424_171934.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 173
  • 20170415_113215.jpg
    20170415_113215.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 145
DONT DO IT..LEARN FROM ME..LOL. Its better going out and buying one..DIY turn into MAJOR MONEY SPENDING..at least our first DIY CAGE was trial and error.But never again...It came out Dope ..just a little unleveled..lol
Thanks for the response! I ended up buy a cage that came with other supplies I wanted anyway.. and it was on sale. So I figured that was a better choice. If I ever have extra time and money i would love to make an awesome enclosure. Yours looks great! i just feel as though i don't have enough research under my belt..

Back
Top Bottom