DIY enclosure in Canada

Jesse White

Hello!
I've been researching for about a few months before purchasing a veiled or panther chameleon. I've been looking into making my own screen cage (with 2 sides and top screen, 2 sides solid) however I watched some videos on youtube saying because of Canada's temperatures and humidity (dry indoor winters) that it was better to have a glass enclosure to keep the humidity. The humidity in my apartment is around 45% in winter and the temperature around 21C. What are your thoughts about making making a screened enclosure compared to buying a glass enclosure?
Also, without a mistking, how do you guys keep your humidity up at night?
Thanks

Hi a hybrid enclosure would be best or at least a cage/ repti breeze with back and two sides covered to help control humidity l run a fogger at night to get my desired humidity. Not a Mistking

I'm not going to tell you what to do...but I will tell you that I live in south Ontario and for many years I've used exoterra all glass cages with front vents and screen lids. Over 30 years ago I started out with aquariums because that's all they had....they can work if you set them up with a chimney effect...but I don't recommend them any more. I then moved to cages that had some screen sides and some glass sides and they were still hard to keep in the right humidity and temperature range... so I moved to all glass sides with a screen lid. They worked ok as long as the chimney effect was set up right...but the front vented screen lidded glass exoterras worked better.

Nothing is going to be perfect...they all have their challenges!

Hello!
I've been researching for about a few months before purchasing a veiled or panther chameleon. I've been looking into making my own screen cage (with 2 sides and top screen, 2 sides solid) however I watched some videos on youtube saying because of Canada's temperatures and humidity (dry indoor winters) that it was better to have a glass enclosure to keep the humidity. The humidity in my apartment is around 45% in winter and the temperature around 21C. What are your thoughts about making making a screened enclosure compared to buying a glass enclosure?
Also, without a mistking, how do you guys keep your humidity up at night?
Thanks
I’ll weigh in on this tomorrow. Sorry...loaded right now, but I think I can help with diy cages and humidity.

Back
Top Bottom