DIY drainage system

What kind of lamp is that?

Do you have a UVB meter? If the rays go 6 feet.... I can't imagine what that cham is being exposed to........:rolleyes:

Well my chameleon has lots of dark places to escape the light, he spends about half of his day going into light and then back into shade. But I still have to get a UVB meter :rolleyes:

Well my chameleon has lots of dark places to escape the light, he spends about half of his day going into light and then back into shade. But I still have to get a UVB meter :rolleyes:

You say people haven't done their research on the bulb, so they shouldn't tell you not to use it...

My question is, have you researched it to know it's 100% safe for your chameleon?

I'm thinking that bulb is WAY too strong, and that's why he may be hiding.

Does anyone have a picture of a UVB burn?

You say people haven't done their research on the bulb, so they shouldn't tell you not to use it...

My question is, have you researched it to know it's 100% safe for your chameleon?

Derailed!

probably be best to take this into pm to keep from tainting the original thought.

That was my first attempt, but it didnt work quite well. This way is very effective and as long as it works and doesn't stress out the cham, thats all I care about :D. Asthetics aren't everything :rolleyes:.

Why not?
Aesthetics aren't everything, but the screen doesn't seem very useful when you can get the same functionality from the PVC bottom.
No offense, but there are alot better drainage system threads out there. :rolleyes:

I still don't understand why you need screen hanging everywhere instead of just using the PVC bottom.
Wouldn't getting rid of the screen, drilling holes in the pvc, provide the same exact functionality, minus pokey aluminum threading hanging everywhere? And water dripping from the entire bottom as opposed to a forced concentrated opening? Cause it looks like you the bin isn't catching all the water, you have to put paper plates and newspaper to sop up the leaks. Not exactly functional compared to alot of others.

Why not?
Aesthetics aren't everything, but the screen doesn't seem very useful when you can get the same functionality from the PVC bottom.
No offense, but there are alot better drainage system threads out there. :rolleyes:

I still don't understand why you need screen hanging everywhere instead of just using the PVC bottom.
Wouldn't getting rid of the screen, drilling holes in the pvc, provide the same exact functionality, minus pokey aluminum threading hanging everywhere? And water dripping from the entire bottom as opposed to a forced concentrated opening? Cause it looks like you the bin isn't catching all the water, you have to put paper plates and newspaper to sop up the leaks. Not exactly functional compared to alot of others.

Your right it is not as functional as some of the other systems. The mesh screen is not made out of aluminum, its very soft an flexible. The reason you see a lot of it is because i didn't cut out a perfect size, and once again I was going for functionality not aesthetic. Yes not all the water is caught by the bin, but thats only because I didn't purchase one big enough. I also said that I tried to use the PVC bottom at first, but it did not work. Besides it's my drainage system and I'm happy with it :p.

If you read the other posts in this thread, you would come across a post where I say "this bulb is new in the market". I do no know if its 100% safe for my chameleon. However, the bulb saved me a lot of money and several chameleon/reptile keepers and breeders recommended it to me.

I think I have to explain my lighting setup everytime I post pictures of my cage :p....... anways it is not a compact UVB light. It is a powersun UV bulb (it has heat, UVA and UVB). The light is new on the the market, but it saved me a lot of money. Some people advise against this way of lighting, but as of right now I am having no problems with it and most of the people who criticize it have not researched about it. My cham is very healthy and has great color and the temperature range is perfect. So as of right now I'm sticking with this bulb :D and please do ignore the fact that I am a junior member, it does not mean I am on the "junior" level of chameleon keeping.

Dont be surprised to get a slew of comments like you have been getting on your husbandry. Most of here at chameleon forums take the better safe than sorry route with especially with lighting I would advise you to do the same. Although this bulb may provide two things in one, facts are facts IMHO I wouldnt trust it.

Reactions: Syn
Thank you veiledchamguy for saying something, I couldn't have said it better myself. Sorry for the "derailment" but in all honesty, saving a few bucks shouldn't be worth the life of your chameleon, (not to mention the 6 feet UVB rays, who makes UVB 30.0 anyways?)

If you read the other posts in this thread, you would come across a post where I say "this bulb is new in the market". I do no know if its 100% safe for my chameleon. However, the bulb saved me a lot of money and several chameleon/reptile keepers and breeders recommended it to me.
Yes! I did read the other posts, but no where does it mention that you have any information about this being safe, or even unsafe.

I just wish the best for your chameleon. If problems develop in the future you may wish you had taken the better safe than sorry approach.

Best of luck!

P.S. You have a Rudis chameleon, correct?
Question: Does this heat and UVB bulb affect your Rudis too much? Aren't they species which don't tolerate much heat, and don't need much UVB?

Edit: I would like to post a picture of a UVB burn, but it is a bit graphic, so please note that.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_1WmXfTC8u...10Ld0w/s400/PantherUVBBlisteringRightSide.jpg

From : http://chamworld.blogspot.com/2008/01/health-chapter-f-burn.html

FACTS:

UVB Burn is exactly what it sounds. It is a condition where your chameleon is over exposed to a dangerous level of ultraviolet radiations. UVB burn can happened to all creatures on earth. Fortunately for us, humans, we can easily escape from scorching UVB ray by going indoors or wearing sunscreen, but the same cannot be said to your chameleon that stuck inside of the cage 24/7.

UVB Burn is a serious health hazard that can kill your chameleon in a short amount of time. Many beginners are usually more worried whether they are providing enough UVB for their chameleon that they often think the more UVB exposure the better.
This kind of thinking is quite dangerous. UVB is very beneficial for your chameleon. But, an over exposure of UV radiation can quickly deteriorate your chameleon’s health.

Here is an excellent site where you can educate yourself about your reptile’s UVB need.

Folks, dont we want to encourage people to post pics of their setups? Hammering on them when they do, is hardly encouraging. If you think hes got it wrong and he disagrees, at the end of the day, he will learn something one way or the other.
If it was your chameleon in his setup, ok, but otherwise, its no skin off your nose is it!
:)

seems people preach forum etiquette, and no one abides by it, but loves to complain up a storm lol. i was just trying to keep from what looks like a potential flame war from happening. since hes had a few threads about his light, and the same people are saying the same thing, and its not going to change just thought going to PM would be a much better idea since these forums really dont have a strong moderation point

Wow, some people really get heated when others try different methods of chamelon keeping :rolleyes:. I know most of you are just trying to help, but you come off as being rude and inconsiderate. Obvioulsy several of you disagree with my choice of bulb, if it was hazardous and ineffective, then I don't believe zoomed would sell it (yes it is a zoomed bulb, which in my opinion is a high quality company that can be trusted). It is also not fair to assume that I bought the bulb without first making sure it would be safe for the chameleon. It is also unfair to assume that since I am a "junior member", I have no experience with reptiles or how to care for them. I understand some of your frustration, but he is my chameleon and I'm going to do what works best for me and him. As of right now he is very healthy and his setup works great. Thanks to those of you who tried to twart some of the arguing :)

if it was hazardous and ineffective, then I don't believe zoomed would sell it (yes it is a zoomed bulb, which in my opinion is a high quality company that can be trusted).

Did you happen to read this: UV Guide

It is also not fair to assume that I bought the bulb without first making sure it would be safe for the chameleon.

I think it isn't a good idea to use MV lamps without a meter to check the readings. They are very powerful and you have yours right on top of the cage. We had a members of SBCK who was using these lamps and had nothing but issues and his chams were closing their eyes. I think it shows you might have a similar issue if your guy hides in the shade a lot.

I would raise the lamp up higher.

If the lamp projects UV up to 6' imagine what its doing at 10"? ;)

It is also unfair to assume that since I am a "junior member", I have no experience with reptiles or how to care for them.

this doesn't mean you don't need to listen to what other people are saying just because you feel you have done your research. There are a lot of variables. you could have read the wrong info, not read enough info or just don't understand some of the concepts as well or thought the whole thing through. Either way, good luck.

Reading through the forums I've read several post mentioning MV bulbs being used with great success.

Personally I wouldn't use them, simply because not enough is known how they effect the animal long term. Reptisun is tried and true. But with the recent post about MV bulbs, if I was more impressionable. I would tend to think of them as a good cheap solution.

Wow, some people really get heated when others try different methods of chamelon keeping :rolleyes:. I know most of you are just trying to help, but you come off as being rude and inconsiderate. Obvioulsy several of you disagree with my choice of bulb, if it was hazardous and ineffective, then I don't believe zoomed would sell it (yes it is a zoomed bulb, which in my opinion is a high quality company that can be trusted). It is also not fair to assume that I bought the bulb without first making sure it would be safe for the chameleon. It is also unfair to assume that since I am a "junior member", I have no experience with reptiles or how to care for them. I understand some of your frustration, but he is my chameleon and I'm going to do what works best for me and him. As of right now he is very healthy and his setup works great. Thanks to those of you who tried to twart some of the arguing :)

And you actually believe their blashphemy they spew? Do you think Zoomed actually cares about any reptiles? The answer is money dont be fooled.

My chameleon is not hiding in the shade the whole day. He basks under the lamp for many hours each day, so as of right now there are no significant signs that he is suffering from the bulb. Clearly there are some dangers I must have overlooked when purchasing this bulb, I will look into further. But as of right now my chameleon is fairly healthy and doing just fine with this bulb, until I notice any changes I will stick with my decision. Thank you all for your concern.

1 month in and already proving the UV guide wrong with hard facts. Awesome stuff.

Cush, I wouldn't discount a study and website backed by hard numbers over a commercial company, that has had a history of selling herp killing products. That is just me though.

I don't really think it's fair to our chameleons to be experimenting with bulbs with our inexperience.

I'm really not feelin the love guys :p. I thought this thread would have been ended several posts ago, but everyone keeps having to put in their input. I understand where everyones coming from and I understand the concern with this bulb. I am closely monitoring my chameleon, he is healthy and everything is fine right now. Please drop the negative posts that serve no purpose other than to insult me, this is just a chameleon forum, not a debate 101 class :).

Back
Top Bottom