DIY-Cricket Cup

Well now that you went and made two colors I'll definitely need two:p You might be able to go with the blotches for a camouflage look

Added a few more layers of green and clear today, it fixed the cloudy blotches and they are looking really nice. I also sanded the edges a little bit to smooth some of the rough edges.

How much are you asking for them?

I don’t have the exact cost yet, I will send everyone a PM when they are complete. I’ve been spending a lot of time searching for the best cost effective materials and buying in bulk to keep them cheap.

Attention!

I have to stop taking request for this first batch. If someone new still wants one then go ahead and post here or PM me, but you will have to wait and see if any are still unclaimed or “if” I make second batch.

Today I created the design “D” template. My first attempt failed, I tired using a heat gun to wrap plastic around one of the shells, it ended up warping and glued itself to the paint. I then tried cardboard to make the template, but that also failed. So I ended up using the damaged shell and cut it up to make the template. After some adjustments I made the first cut out and it worked great. Sorry to say that means the first batch has 18 left, I don’t see myself destroying any more in the future.

Here is the template "D"wraped around a green shell.
full

This is the first cutout, after some slight adjustments it works greats and only 17 left to cut out.
full

Last edited by a moderator:
Finished cutting up the greens today, phew....thats was more work then I thought. I was covered in so much dust I looked like a ghost :D. I should have all the browns cut, sanded and trimmed by next weekend.

Anyways they are looking great :D, Hope the parts I ordered make it in this week.

full

Magnets came in today and I’m happy with them. I know many of you have some large chameleons so I upped the size from what I was using, just in case they want to climb onto the feeder cup. These neodymium magnets are super strong so there shouldn’t be a problem with holding up a chameleon.

full

Caps have arrived, I’m relieved that they fit. They were my biggest worry and although they are not a perfect match I believe it is the best I can find after hours of searching. I will have to modify them all and cut them up a bit but they will work just fine.

full

I also spent a few hours cutting up the brown shells, everything is coming along great.

full

Progress is looking great :D

Thanks! It’s all coming together, this first batch are still considered proto types so they need a bit extra thought and care when making them. I do wish I had more time to work on them, I’ll be stacking these on top of all my other “weekend” projects for the next few weeks.

Yesterday my wife and I took the day off and she watched the kids to let me work on the project almost the whole day. Got a lot done and have my sites on completing them all this weekend. That means I should be sending out PM’s to all next week and start shipping.

Here are the metal backings to attach the magnets to. I used sheet metal cutters so they were all curved after cutting them, I had to place them on a plate of steel and beat them flat with a hammer.

full

Afterwards I curved and smoothed the edges then gave them a few coats of rust proof paint.

full

I modified all the caps, they had to be cut down and the bottom ones had one side cut lower to help prevent escapees. (Left) Uncut, (Middle) Bottom, (right) Top.

full

Because the caps are not perfect fit I painted the top trim of the shells black to hide any white showing.

full

I guess I’ll call these bug ladders, this was Nick’s idea and it seems to be exactly the material I was looking for.

full

I decided to use Velcro to attach the bug ladders, they will be removable for easy cleaning and prevent a chameleon’s sticky tongue from ripping it off.

full

Say “Hello” to George, George is my test cricket. George say “Hello” to everyone that is going to feed your relatives to their chameleons.

full

Awesome job.

Thanks, they defiantly look better then my first one. I kind of wish I could keep one myself.

Looking good so far! Any ideas on the price range of each? I was thinking of getting 2 :D

I'll send a PM to everyone with the final price soon. I don't want to post a price here on the open forum, not yet because I have still have to calculate labor.

I need one! When are they going to be available for purchasing?

This first batch is all spoken for, but I put you on the list for the second batch, I'll start working on them next month. When they are complete I'll send you a PM.

Back
Top Bottom