DIY complete aluminium enclosures with glass drainage

eisentrauti

Avid Member
Hi guys,

I wasnt that often online cause I built some new terrariums for my chameleons. Because of the rust problems and the in my opinion not reasonable prices of the exoterra terrariums I decided to do it myself. Here are the results:

First I built some cages for outside with a changable top. I used plexiglass to give the chameleons some protection if it's to rainy:

Glass drainage system:

Here's the terrarium a bit to big for the glass drainage, I have to build here a terrarium which is a bit smaller:

And some pics of the small ones, they are 30x30x40cm in size, mainly for small chameleons, juveniles:

I'm currently building the 5th. of the big ones and 10 of the smaller ones so that I can increase by collection a bit ;-)

Best regards
Benny

Last edited:
very impressed, they look very profesional benny, a job well done.

how much does each viv cost you to make?

rob

Thanks Rob ! The costs aren't high, I get aluminium square profiles and the flat pieces which were needed to fix the screen in industrial prices. The aluminium screen itself costs round 5€/m², the pvc connectors round 0,6-0,8€/piece. The main thing is the work which needs to be invested per cage ;)

Wow, looks really neat! I'm curious about the plexiglass top to the cage. Does the plexiglass cover the whole top? UVB cannot penetrate plexiglass, so that's something to keep in mind. Also, if you are protecting them from rain, are you providing a different source for water? Keep up the good work!

The mesh is made of aluminium. Maybe I'll start this year working with V2A mesh which is the best one, but the most expensive one too
@withlime:
yes the plexiglass cover the hole top. The rain falls here nearly never completely vertical so there are always bet areas too. For the normal/daily watering I use a dripper system which saves me a lot of work

@withlime:
yes the plexiglass cover the hole top. The rain falls here nearly never completely vertical so there are always bet areas too. For the normal/daily watering I use a dripper system which saves me a lot of work

Are you providing a UVB light source or relying on the sun? Do you have access to a UVB meter? If the light comes into the sides in the morning and evening, the chameleon(s) may be able to bask and get enough UVB, but I would keep a close eye on it.

I keep it in mind of course. During my "chameleoncareer" I never had any problems with rachitis/mbd so I think I can handle this too.

I keep it in mind of course. During my "chameleoncareer" I never had any problems with rachitis/mbd so I think I can handle this too.

Benny if anyone I know will see to the needs of their chameleons, it is you. The cages are quite nice, and look very functional. Good Job!!:)

Want to come make me some???

Dear Benny,

sending you airline tickets now to come to New York so you can build me a few cages and I'll feed you some of the best food in the US.
don't worrie, no hotel for you. you will stay at my place and build them great cages while I feed you...maybe I'll let you sleep. :p

Harry

Thank you both ! :)
@ Harry: If there's someday something like a forum meeting I will come for sure ! I really want to meet many of the members :) (my only demand: It should be on a warm month in a sunny state ;))

@ Harry: If there's someday something like a forum meeting I will come for sure ! I really want to meet many of the members :) (my only demand: It should be on a warm month in a sunny state ;))

Spring or Summer are the best months for NYC...we have a lot of forum members local and near by. they will come from all over just to see you.
plus, I'll let you play with my Quads so you will feel like you are home. :D

Harry

I often hit 100 f in the summer here in Montana, but you would be the only cham keeper except me.:(

If you want to consider coming to Florida in August for the Daytona Reptile show, I will have a 2 bedroom condo for that week and you are welcome to the extra bedroom. Your own bedroom & key no strings attached. My sister & i always share a room as we talk half the night.:)

I will also hope, lots of forum people will be there, if you are coming I will invite them to the condo to meet you.:)

Hi eisentrauti what v2a mesh are you referring too.

See attached is the DIY cage I built a few weeks back, is this the mesh you are referring 2?

Attachments

• Photo-0235.jpg
    Photo-0235.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 131
Cool, I will be doing my own DIY cages end of the month for my Veiled and Panther

I have sourced the Plastic joints, aluminium square tubbing 20mm.

I am looking for the best mesh to use for it, this info helped.

Cool, I will be doing my own DIY cages end of the month for my Veiled and Panther

I have sourced the Plastic joints, aluminium square tubbing 20mm.

I am looking for the best mesh to use for it, this info helped.

I hope you find a good supplier. In general your best chance are probably resellers for insects screens

cool

The Mesh is the last thing on my list to source.

Going to do the calculation and see if its bang for buck to build it or just buy an already built screen cage :D

Back
Top Bottom