DIY cheap temporary outside enclosure

Andee

Chameleon Enthusiast
So because both of my chameleons benefit hugely from outdoor time but it's hard because I have to sit with them because they are both disabled and could easily fall, I am working on making a super cheap outside enclosure. I don't like the hanging mesh one I have now because if I fill it up enough to make it safe for them it's extremely hard to get them out. Well I have a nice sized rubber maid bin sitting around. It's around 16" by 23". I will be drilling drainage holes in the bottom of it, so I can safely plant, plants directly into it. I plan to use gutter guard as my outside protection, my top protection will likely be gutter guard too, and I will either super plant the top of the soil with ground cover or buy larger river rocks to deter eating. I have yet to decide what my plants I will be putting into the enclosure. I have more ability than usual considering this enclosure will be outside all year round and what I like most about it is I can either add a shade over it if it's still too warm that day, or drag it around. Misting will be done by hand. I plan only to do one in the beginning to make sure it goes well.

Ryker has been doing so much better with his UVB coming purely from the sun. I may put on his actual light for 30 minutes half way through the day. But today I did 45 minutes of sun in the morning and then later today after it had cooled off I did another 30 minutes. Even being in the bright light of the sun he keeps his eyes completely open. So I am positive his artificial light causes so many more issues than it should.

The only thing I am not positive about, since I would prefer to have the cage relatively tall.. at least around 3-4 feet, and I am only 5'7" I don't think I could get in very easy to get either Hope or Ryker from the top? Does anyone have any ideas on how to do a good opening from the side as well?

So I know I will be using a schefflera plant because I can get huge ones at a place near me. I was thinking of doing a smaller pothos? Or maybe a wandering jew? I will have a huge amount of dowels and freshly cut (and baked) branches from nearby oak trees. If I can find a nice camelia plant I will be getting it for sure, either that or a hibiscus. My hibiscus always seem to do well outside. I mean I could just technically transplant one of my current plants, one of them definitely needs it XD. Does anyone like hanging plants for outside use more than pothos that would support a full grown panther better?

Definitely pictures. It will likely be put on the back burner for a bit and the sitting with them outside will happen for but longer than I'd like. Just learned my tortoise has an RI and he needs to go in. So money is headed towards that instead of anything fun. The other guys won't suffer, I will still do an hour a day with Ryker and 15-20 minutes with Hope. but RIs are scary.

Definitely pictures. It will likely be put on the back burner for a bit and the sitting with them outside will happen for but longer than I'd like. Just learned my tortoise has an RI and he needs to go in. So money is headed towards that instead of anything fun. The other guys won't suffer, I will still do an hour a day with Ryker and 15-20 minutes with Hope. but RIs are scary.
How do they get RI's?

I think my guy got it from low temps during winter? I couldn't get him to brumate well >.< Either way he has an appointment first thing on Thursday

I'm having a bit of trouble picturing what you described. I just want to make sure i'm seeing this right:
You have a rubbermaid container that you will be using as a container. Will the plants be INSIDE the rubbermaid or what?

Yes the plants will be inside the rubbermaid, kind of like a pot, I will be drilling drainage of course. I just have to figure out how to fix the gutter guard around it so I can get in and out easily and still have things attached. Looking at making a door.

Not to get off topic but my girlfriend's bearded dragon had a respiratory infection and she just bumped up his heat temp and it went away. When I got my second chameleon he showed small signs of a respiratory infection and I bought a ceramic bulb and used it at night and his symptoms seem to have gone away. Not sure if you could do that with your tortoise but it's just a suggestion. Anyways your idea for enclosure seems nice.

With RI in torts it is really bad once signs are noticeable. So he will need antibiotics by now. I already have started bumping his heat at the moment while he is at the vet. He started getting super lethargic almost over night so I decided not to wait until tomorrow for the vet visit and instead did a drop off with my vet today. It's kind of like an emergency visit with them except you are not with the animal at the time and fill out a form that says what you have observed. I am hoping he isn't too far along.

We just use a small 18x18x18 "cheap brand" screen cage for our juveniles or rehabs to go outside. They are only in them part time for sunning so we don't worry about how much room they need. We did add auto misters to the small and large outdoor cages.

With RI in torts it is really bad once signs are noticeable. So he will need antibiotics by now. I already have started bumping his heat at the moment while he is at the vet. He started getting super lethargic almost over night so I decided not to wait until tomorrow for the vet visit and instead did a drop off with my vet today. It's kind of like an emergency visit with them except you are not with the animal at the time and fill out a form that says what you have observed. I am hoping he isn't too far along.

Wow I'm sorry to hear that :( I hope he pulls through.

Thanks guys, love all my guys of every species I have so when one of them is sick it freaks me out a bit

So here is the beginning to this outdoor enclosure. I just used one of the larger bins we had sitting around. I may eventually get a larger one and transfer to that, at the moment I am happy with this as it will just allow things to happen faster. I drilled holes to allow for drainage, loosely covered the bottom with river rocks and slate to allow for extra drainage, and then my first layer of soil in here is some left over cypress mulch from my tortoise enclosure. I then filled the last layer with several bricks of Ecoearth, which I fertilized everything with superworm castings and droppings, and also extra frass from the dubias that had built up a bit too much. I will be putting two hibiscus I currently keep outside in here, and if I can fit one a schefflera likely. I will likely put some fake plants in too just to add extra coverage at least until the other plants leaf out. I will be going up to a forest trail near me that has unbothered oak trees (other than occasionally trimmed when they get out of hand) and trimming some branches to use, and maybe using a few fake bendable vines. I also plan to cover the top of the Ecoearth in thin slate tiles to discourage eating. I may make a catch net depending on how many branches I can get and what it ends up looking like and if I feel safe without it.

outside cage base.jpg Fertilized outside cage dirt.jpg Holes on outside cage.jpg

Hibsicus planted.jpg

Where I am now with the outdoor cage. I will end up putting one more plant in the upper left corner. Not sure how big.

Back
Top Bottom