DIY Cage

So I’m really confused on telling what’s safe and what isn’t. How do you tell if what I have cant be used for the Cham?
Unfortunately, this is one of those things that's been learned empirically. Hence the lists.
A generalization is that water-based are OK; oil-based are more risky. This is mostly due to the amounts of VOCs. We look for the least amount of VOCs, and preferably none, which is why Ecos Paints are mentioned—they have a pet-safe line with NO VOCs.

This is one of those areas—like plants and feeders—where many feel it's safer to use what's known to be safe than take chances on the unknowns.

OK, I can't find that that Rustoleum is water-based, but you can get the same "look" with gloss Polyurethane or high-gloss latex.

Here's a thought...
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-c...s/varathane/ultimate-polyurethane-water-based
I found this on the stuff I have
7703682B-6AF6-4BD1-BCDC-935B0BDE81E3.jpeg

So I’m really confused on telling what’s safe and what isn’t.
Rule of thumb I use is this... if you can smell it while its drying then it's not safe while its wet. Once its dry and all the VOCs have burned off its PROBABLY safe.

A lot of people use drylok. Well, drykock is acrylic based, therefore I figured MOST acrylic based paints (that clean up with water) would be safe in the long run.

I used some exterior grade acrylic paint I got in the opps section of lowes, most of their paints are low VOC anyways (at least here in the communist republic of California) so I just built the cage with enough time to dry amd my guys been fine.

People say 100% silicone is fine and safe and that stuff will burn the nostrils in a poorly ventilated enclosure but once its cured you're good to go.

Just my 2 cents

I’m so freakin confused lmbooo
water based polyurethane or dryloc or flex seal... All have to be aired out. meaning you have to let them all gas off. Some say on the label how long the cure time is. Pay attention to this because if your doing layers you will have to add additional time for cure and gassing off. Some may take a few days until you notice all odor is gone. From there give it another few days at least. Do not use this in the house with the cham. The fumes can kill your cham. Use in a well ventilated outdoor space.

Last edited:
I think Kylde correct me if I’m wrong he’s saying there’s no pet safe no VOC so you want to find one with really low VOCs and a lot of those are Eco paint
That's not what I was saying at all. Ecos makes pet-safe paints with NO VOCs.
If that can't be found or ordered, there are others, but the vast majority are water-based.
I've listed several already.

That's not what I was saying at all. Ecos makes pet-safe paints with NO VOCs.
If that can't be found or ordered, there are others, but the vast majority are water-based.
I've listed several already.
But if you use one with VOC cant you just seal it with water based polyurethane?

But if you use one with VOC cant you just seal it with water based polyurethane?
If you're going to seal it with water-based polyurethane, why bother with something with VOCs underneath? If you want color, high-gloss water-based latex.

Several people have weighed in along the same lines—stick with what's known to be safe.

I would just do what kylde says he’s got Aton of experience
(EDIT: I meant to reply to you Klyde)
But if I could get something without VOC I wouldn’t seal it. I’m sealing it to stop the VOC from off gassing. I’m not buying the ecopaints I can’t order it so I’ve gotta get something in person and Krylon I’ve heard the best about… it’s still potentially dangerous though and that’s why I’m sealing it

Last edited:
Krylon? In post #9 it was Rustoleum. :unsure: Nevermind.

You don't want to stop VOCs from off-gassing. If you're using a product that contains them, you want them to off-gas entirely. Then sealing is not required (unless there are other issues like carcinogens, etc.)

Krylon? In post #9 it was Rustoleum. :unsure: Nevermind.

You don't want to stop VOCs from off-gassing. If you're using a product that contains them, you want them to off-gas entirely. Then sealing is not required (unless there are other issues like carcinogens, etc.)
I’m so sorry I sound literally mentally insane lmaoooo
I’m using Krylon spray paint for color, and it’s got the texture I’m after so I can layer the enamel over it and it’ll give a desired look.

This is a cage DIY for my veiled Chameleon, Van. I’m building a wooden frame to reinstall some panels from my current enclosure and make some panels myself. I’ll prob have tons of questions and this is prob more of a help me thread than watch me. Starting off, if I use spray paint will enamel seal it and make it safe for my chameleon?
I used regular polyurethane for mine

Back
Top Bottom