DIY Cage

Casket_Case

Avid Member
This is a cage DIY for my veiled Chameleon, Van. I’m building a wooden frame to reinstall some panels from my current enclosure and make some panels myself. I’ll prob have tons of questions and this is prob more of a help me thread than watch me. Starting off, if I use spray paint will enamel seal it and make it safe for my chameleon?

I went ahead and bought the enamel before I posted, it’ll be fine if water is sprayed on it but I wanted to make sure it’d be okay for my chameleon. The flex spray is for the bottom of the cage, the whole bottom will be a wooden box that’ll be flex sprayed, the bottom will have a drain leading directly either to a bucket or a window so I don’t have to empty a drip pan :)

Is it a water-based enamel, and what does the label say about VOCs?

FWIW, there are NO reptile-safe spray paints that I'm aware of.

Most reptile safe lists I've seen recommend sticking with latex or water-based polyurethane.

Their website is a PITA, but https://www.ecospaints.net/Pet-Products has a line of Zero-VOC Pet-friendly paints.

I've used flex seal liquid (not spray) and it took a lot longer for the VOCs to off-gas than they stated.

I would check into what's in whatever you use; some contain carcinogens like asphalt.

Reptile Safe Paint: Which One Should You Use?

Safe paints and finishes for reptile enclosures

Is it a water-based enamel, and what does the label say about VOCs?

FWIW, there are NO reptile-safe spray paints that I'm aware of.

Most reptile safe lists I've seen recommend sticking with latex or water-based polyurethane.

Their website is a PITA, but https://www.ecospaints.net/Pet-Products has a line of Zero-VOC Pet-friendly paints.

I've used flex seal liquid (not spray) and it took a lot longer for the VOCs to off-gas than they stated.

I would check into what's in whatever you use; some contain carcinogens like asphalt.

Reptile Safe Paint: Which One Should You Use?

Safe paints and finishes for reptile enclosures

I looked at those but couldn’t find anything helpful with enamel or sealant so I got thus
image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom