DIY cage question

Toph00

I am thinking of upgrading cage sizes. I was looking at the DIY cage website and they seem like good cages but after reading about claws getting ripped out in small mesh it got me wondering. Has anyone gotten a DIY cage from the website the on the forum sponsors? If so, is the mesh too tight for a 7+ month old cham for the rest of his life? Or should I go ahead and build my own with home depot supplies and such (I'm not sure how those cost to make one so I'm hesitant) please let me know!

I don't have any experience with the DIY cages, so I couldn't tell you. The only chameleon I have that lost toenails was a Jackson's that spent all day climbing the aluminum mesh of his cage, despite there being loads of branches and plants to climb. Which is usually the problem, a lack of other things to climb.

I've made my own DIY cages with the window screen and have had good results with that. It's soft, so I've never had any of my panthers lose nails. I have heard that crickets can chew through it, although I've never had it happen, though. But you can always go to Home Depot or Lowes and find mesh with slightly large holes, this would fix any concern about the small screen ripping nails off.

I've built a 5'x4'2.5' out of wood bars and screen for about $60. I had the screws and tools from beforehand, but just the supplies ran between $50-60, which isn't too bad.

I feel like just need a slightly bigger spaced mesh. Just a concerned parent I suppose. I also don't want it too big because I already have crickets all over my place lol

I have a DIY 2'X2'X4' cage and have no problems with it at all. Moe has plenty of stuff to climb on so rarely climbs up the side of it unless it is to get outside of it and onto his tree outside his cage. He hasn't lost any nails or acted like he was stuck on it, etc. All in all I like the purchase and I think he enjoys the space.

Try cages.net, they build standard and custom sizes and have a larger mesh size available. I'll be ordering one within the next week or so.

Cages.net? I'll definitely check that out. What's a good mesh size for crickets to not get out of?

i'm sure that the DYI is like any cage (window-frame) if you are worried about the material or size being a risk, you could always buy pet screen by the foot and re-screen the cage, leaving the top aluminum jmo.

though in experience, i've never had a problem with small holed screen, give or take.. it may just be an uncommon misfortune

Great. I just needed some reassurance. Sounds like as long as I have plenty for him to climb on, he should be fine and not even try crawling on the cage. Thanks all!

As stated, DIYcages has a larger mesh option available, if you are worried about that. I like my DIYcage, the mesh is like, plastic coated, and smooth. The only bad thing I've heard about them is that the clasps to the doors break easily. I've had mine for 3+ months with no problems at all though. I received the cage within 3 days of ordering it as well. I recomend them.

I'm most likely going to get a cage from DIYcage. I'm probably going to get it around late November or December. I can't decide on a good size for a panther Cham that will be good for the rest of his life. Any suggestions? Also, I live in an appartment without a yard to put a massive cage so let's be realistic :p

The 2' x 2' x 4' is the minimum recommended size for a juvie-adult panther male. They do better with lots of space, but this isn't quite as massive as it sounds.

It will seem massive at first! But pretty soon you'll be wanting more room! :) There are a ton of easy drainage options as well. It really doest take up much room at all, just 2x2 in a corner ;)

I keep my adult panther in a 18x18x36" DIY cage and honestly I think it's too small. The only reason he's still in it is because he also has a very large outdoor cage he's in a lot of the time instead. If that were his only one I'd get the bigger size. The DIY cages are great and he climbs on the screen all the time and still has all his nails. They hold up really well and are great quality. I'd recommend the bigger size.

So 24x24x48? I don't think I have anywhere to put something that huge! Or plants big enough to put on there haha

We have 3 DIY cages and yes, the clasps are indeed an issue. We are waiting on a replacement (still) for one that came to us stripped. Overall a good cage, though.

check out my cage that i just finished i used small mesh because ive never had any trouble with it. Helps with keeping food in the cage and i rarely see my cham climb on it. I made my cage myself and could inspire you to do something similar

Back
Top Bottom