dixociclyne

Boricua

My Jackson’s Chameleon has had a hard time fully recovering from a respiratory illness. Initially, the veterinarian prescribed some Baytril, which worked for a little bit but no so much after a few weeks. The vet now decided to prescribe dixociclyne. Has any of you tried this antibiotic? How safe is it? I juts started with it

Just wondering what do you think is the major factor that his health is not improving?
I'm asking seriously, I have a feeling that you have a feeling of what is the problem but you may be too embarrassed or can't afford the fix. Please not trying to be mean, I just see that you haven't provided and pictures of his enclosure or provided and real details on his situation. You might be doing everything right. What is the craziest explanation you would give?

I hope he gets better soon. I k ow it must be driving you crazy. Let's get aggressive and get him well.

Fellow Puerto Rican.

My Jackson’s Chameleon has had a hard time fully recovering from a respiratory illness. Initially, the veterinarian prescribed some Baytril, which worked for a little bit but no so much after a few weeks. The vet now decided to prescribe dixociclyne. Has any of you tried this antibiotic? How safe is it? I juts started with it

How long was he prescribe the medication and how long did it take to use all medications?
I have a feeling based on your verbiage that there were several days that you may have missed dosage.

Just wondering what do you think is the major factor that his health is not improving?
I'm asking seriously, I have a feeling that you have a feeling of what is the problem but you may be too embarrassed or can't afford the fix. Please not trying to be mean, I just see that you haven't provided and pictures of his enclosure or provided and real details on his situation. You might be doing everything right. What is the craziest explanation you would give?

I hope he gets better soon. I k ow it must be driving you crazy. Let's get aggressive and get him well.

Fellow Puerto Rican.

Dude, I’m not embarrassed to say anything nor I’m hiding anything either. Also, I never missed any dosages for his previous medication.

The cage is 48”x38” so, it’s pretty big. It has lights for basking, UVA & UVB exposure, an automatic mister that creates “rain”, a big dripper for water drinking and numerous plants for hiding and providing humidity. I monitor the cage’s temperature up and down plus it’s humidity level.

His diet consists of crickets, wax worms, silkworms, dubia roaches, hornworms, and butter worms.

My only guess as to why he hasn’t completely healed it’s maybe the medication is not the correct one or his illness is something else. This time the veterinarian decided to do some laboratory tests, so he took in some secretion and saliva samples from the chameleon’s mouth; so we will see what it is. I was just asking if any of the forum members have used doxycycline on their chameleons.

It sounds like it may be too humid and probably too cold at night. I would guess ammonia. Probably clear out some items, less mist. Fresh dry air may do him some good with sunlight

If the infection he had was resistant to the first antibiotic then switching antibiotics and doing a culture and sensitivity are standard practice. Not every antibiotic kills or inhibits every bacteria.

Understand, I was just trying to understand what may have caused the problem. I'm sure he did all types of changes to the habit after the vet visit.

From what I understand when antibiotics dont work they don't work at all.

The whole "few weeks and took a turn" leads me to believe that not all medications was given.

A respiratory infection tells me temperature and humidity are to blame.

Back
Top Bottom