Diverging Oahu Jacksons

Devokid

I have spent the last few months collecting and studying Jacksons on Oahu and have discovered something rather interesting. The Jacksons that live in the high altitudes (Mist Jacksons) seem to have different colors and different temperature requirements than those that live near sea level (Surf Jacksons).

The Surf Jacksons tend to be a more solid green when at rest and exactly like what you think of when you think about Jackson Chameleons. Their horns tend to be misshapen, a symptom that is corrected once they are fed gut loaded bugs in captivity, which leads me to believe that there is something lacking in their diet and not that they are "wilting" in the heat. They also are just fine in about 80 degrees F, and turn darker and sit under the heat when the temps drop to 65.

The Mist Jacksons, on the other hand, are more patterned at rest. Their horn are straight, but thin. This remains the same when fed in captivity, so the missing ingredient in horn production seems to be available up high. (One thing is that people leave cat food all over the ground to feed the feral cats, which is also consumed by the bugs. So there may be something in the cat food, but I kinda doubt it.) These Jacksons search out the cooler sections of the cage when the temps are around 80 and gape all the time. When they are in the 65 degree cage, they seem to be loving life.

These changes in the patterns and heat tolerance seem to indicate a slowly diverging population. I have only been able to study 20 surf jacksons and 10 mist jacksons so far, so I am curious to see if any of you have witnessed similar behavior in Hawaiian Jacksons or African Jacksons.

(1st pick surf i caught as a little guy. Note the change in horn development. 2-3 are mist)

Attachments

• IMG_1306.jpg
    IMG_1306.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_2684.jpg
    IMG_2684.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 555
  • IMG_2742_2.jpg
    IMG_2742_2.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 571
I have spent the last few months collecting and studying Jacksons on Oahu and have discovered something rather interesting. The Jacksons that live in the high altitudes (Mist Jacksons) seem to have different colors and different temperature requirements than those that live near sea level (Surf Jacksons).

The Surf Jacksons tend to be a more solid green when at rest and exactly like what you think of when you think about Jackson Chameleons. Their horns tend to be misshapen, a symptom that is corrected once they are fed gut loaded bugs in captivity, which leads me to believe that there is something lacking in their diet and not that they are "wilting" in the heat. They also are just fine in about 80 degrees F, and turn darker and sit under the heat when the temps drop to 65.

The Mist Jacksons, on the other hand, are more patterned at rest. Their horn are straight, but thin. This remains the same when fed in captivity, so the missing ingredient in horn production seems to be available up high. (One thing is that people leave cat food all over the ground to feed the feral cats, which is also consumed by the bugs. So there may be something in the cat food, but I kinda doubt it.) These Jacksons search out the cooler sections of the cage when the temps are around 80 and gape all the time. When they are in the 65 degree cage, they seem to be loving life.

These changes in the patterns and heat tolerance seem to indicate a slowly diverging population. I have only been able to study 20 surf jacksons and 10 mist jacksons so far, so I am curious to see if any of you have witnessed similar behavior in Hawaiian Jacksons or African Jacksons.

(1st pick surf i caught as a little guy. Note the change in horn development. 2-3 are mist)

thats some cool stuff, I think I have read something similar with jacksonii jacksonii, thet the ones higher up have stronger colors, it would be verry interresing if you could take on of the lower lands to a higher up place and see how it affects it, if you could keep track of the individuals of course

thats some cool stuff, I think I have read something similar with jacksonii jacksonii, thet the ones higher up have stronger colors, it would be verry interresing if you could take on of the lower lands to a higher up place and see how it affects it, if you could keep track of the individuals of course

Yes, its that whole keeping track of it that is the problem. I do have some friends that live higher up on Maui. I can't take the chams from Oahu to Maui, but I could see if there are similar variations in the maui population.

This is interesting, my jacksons chameleon was field collected and had one of his horns kinda crooked, now after a bit over 2 months or so he has shed the bulk of it somehow,but the new one is growing straight.

I had two male Jacksons while in Hawaii, one Oahu lowland (I assume, I got him in Waimanalo from the guy with the chameleon sign off the highway lol) and one when I lived on Maui (which I collected off the side of the road upland).

The one from Oahu I got pretty young, 3-4 months old, and had an extra misshaped horn growing from the bottom horn above his mouth (which kinda goes with what you wrote) and although he had pattern he kinda didn't change too much, but had blue in his tail. That was back in 2004. In 2013 I got another one on Maui, if I had to guess he was 4-6 months old. He doubled in size while I had him before I moved (also, couldn't take him back to Oahu) and he always had a lot of yellow on him, and would change color dramatically in the sun (dark green).

Anyways! I often think about what will happen to the Jacksons in Hawaii- so many different environments will likely create evolution. I have no doubt this is already happening. Physical changes will probably come after physiological changes. I once found a young Cham off of kapahulu ave (very dry) and he just seem more "dessert-ish" I let him go, but I always wondered what he would look like.

Hawaii is the only place I've ever lived where you can pick chameleons up off the ground regularly!

Aloha Oe!

I have a Jackson i caught in Kula 2 months ago in captivity, He now lives in west maui and so far I am having success with him getting used to the warmer temperatures and screened enclosure. mine turns light & dark green when awake and alert and yellowish/light green when asleep.

Good info here!
aloha
paul

Back
Top Bottom