Disinfecting sweet birch wood

Countrygirl01

I have sweet birch branches that I found in the woods behind my house. I’m going to be using it for my Chameleons new enclosure and the wood is still very much alive. My questions are: A) how do I disinfect it before adding it to my girls enclosure? B) is there anything I need to do to the wood to preserve it or protect my Cham? C) is there anything I absolutely do not need to do to the wood?

Hi there. You will get different answers on this. Some that have bioactive enclosures do not do anything to the wood, some bake it in an oven, some just wash it down and let it dry back out. I am the wash it with hot water and some dawn soap then rinse it really really well. Lay it out on some towels on a table to let it dry out for the day then use it in the enclosure. I do this because I prefer to wash any bird poop off and where I lived there was mold that would grow on the trees (I am sensitive to that). Where I live now you deal with ticks. YUCK. So yeah it just depends on what you prefer.

I’m also on the side of just giving a good wash and even better rinse and letting dry in the sun (if possible). I usually use a plastic bristle brush and whatever doesn’t come off with a gentle scrub gets to stay…like lichen.

Back
Top Bottom