disinfecting branches

davisc12

so I set up my enclosure exactly 1 week ago. And today I noticed 2 of the branches that are always in contact with the bottom tray has white cotton like mold of fungus growing on it. normally I would just throw them away but everything is still brand new. besides raising the sticks so they don't sit on the bottom tray how to i clean this so it is safe again?

so I set up my enclosure exactly 1 week ago. And today I noticed 2 of the branches that are always in contact with the bottom tray has white cotton like mold of fungus growing on it. normally I would just throw them away but everything is still brand new. besides raising the sticks so they don't sit on the bottom tray how to i clean this so it is safe again?
Are these real branches? assuming store bought since you said brand new. what brand are they?

Are these real branches? assuming store bought since you said brand new. what brand are they?
Im not sure of the brand i went to Michelle craft store looking for dowel rods but they didnt have any but I found these branches that looked much better anyway. I did soak and scrub them just incase they were treated with any chemicals or bleached. Its just the two branches that contact the wet tray that are molding at the very bottom

Im not sure of the brand i went to Michelle craft store looking for dowel rods but they didnt have any but I found these branches that looked much better anyway. I did soak and scrub them just incase they were treated with any chemicals or bleached. Its just the two branches that contact the wet tray that are molding at the very bottom
Can you post a picture of the tray with mold. was it full of water?

The tray itself is not full but the fron corner has a small pool in the corner from the dripper, and that just happens to be where the branch touches the bottom
1697940585596179615600982412111.jpg
1697940585596179615600982412111.jpg

The tray itself is not full but the fron corner has a small pool in the corner from the dripper, and that just happens to be where the branch touches the bottom
I don't think I've seen mold like this in an enclosure. do you use any conditioner stuff in your dripper?

Last edited:
I don't think I've seen mold like this in an enclosure. what do you use any conditioner stuff in your dripper?
no conditioner used in the dripper i just use bottled Poland Spring water. Ive seen similar mold grow on fish food that didn't make it into my tank and sat on the rim for a few days. So maybe that's just the type of spores in my apt.

no conditioner used in the dripper i just use bottled Poland Spring water. Ive seen similar mold grow on fish food that didn't make it into my tank and sat on the rim for a few days. So maybe that's just the type of spores in my apt.

I'm going to tag come people that might know more about this. @Beman @MissSkittles do you know what could cause this mold, and how to help it?

No idea what the mold is about, but I’m always a bit suspish about branches from craft stores. Usually they have little wood boring insects though. I use primarily real tree branches that I’ve scavenged from my neighbors oak tree trimmings and a downed sycamore that I lucked out in finding. I wash with dish soap and a plastic brush, rinse very well and let dry in the sun. Whatever doesn’t come off from my little scrubbing, gets to stay. I also use at least one artificial vine that is specifically for reptiles. Fluker’s vines are great and avoid the black Exo Terra ones.

Back
Top Bottom