dirty vent area

Highway61

Chameleon Enthusiast
Jack is my 2 yr old Jacksons that I've had in my care since he was 4 months and my first cham. Recently I've noticed his butt looks like he's been tragging it in the soil of his 2x2x4 bioactive enclosure. But I never see him walking or even near the bottom. Could it be something he's eating? His staples have always been crickets and dubias but lately its just been dubias.

1609879394947.png
1609879238606.png

It looked to me like the vent is fine and the dirt accumulation is just behind the vent at the base of his tail:

1609944753592.png

I didn't see anything that looks like a cut so when I wiped the area with a wet q-tip, it came off like dirt:

1609944835993.png

A few weeks ago, in an effort to try and raise humitity, I hung some of the store bought moss on some of the branches and when misted, they become very wet. What I see near Jack's vent looks a lot like this moss so I have stripped it all out now. Hopefully this is the issue that I can chalk up to trial & error:

1609945125271.png

If the Q-tip doesn't work, you can try gently using a soft-bristle (mushy) toothbrush.
Soak the area first with a Q-tip or cotton ball to soften the crud (technical term).

Back
Top Bottom