Dirt is amazing!?

skully23

Some reason I have read that dirt helps veiled chameleons digestive systems. So which is true?
A) It does help.
B) Helps alittle and they can become impacted.
C) Helps none and causes impaction.

Just curious ;)

Ok....when chameleons eat dirt its usually means mineral deficiancy. Iff dirt has pesticides or fertalizers obvoiusly it will cause harm if eaten. Dirt also causes impaction....making it horrid for them. If your chams eating dirt cover it with large river stones.

You know there is this really neat thing called "search" and if you wouldve looked up that question you wouldve found numerous threads about "dirt", and saved everyone a little bit of time.

You know there is this really neat thing called "search" and if you wouldve looked up that question you wouldve found numerous threads about "dirt", and saved everyone a little bit of time.

Yeah, and after he read through 200 of them with people saying its bad, people saying its because of lack of minerals, that it helps settle the stomach, people saying I let mine eat it and others say they put rocks over it blah blah blah. And in the end they would still probably not have a definitive feeling about it. This thread will probably also go down the same path but maybe a newer member has the answer (probably not) but there really is no sense in being a smart ass. Why waste your time typing something if it contributes absolutely nothing to a thread:confused:

D. May help nutrient wise but ingesting large particles/non dirt may cause impaction.

Its probably not worth the effort involved to obtain organic, chemical free and fine soil, to repot your plants etc etc.
If your particular lizard seems keen on it, you can improvise prevention methods (some mentioned above) if you choose.
If your lizard is provided a healthy balanced diet, there is certainly no nutritional requirement for it as such.
Since most soil types contain other matter such as tiny peices of bark, small stones etc, Then logically if your lizard is bent on eating it, then impaction is a concern.

Last edited:
I would expect it might occur on occasion, probably accidently, but perhaps with some nutrient or just moisture intended. *shrugs*
Ive never read of it documented as a common thing, but then I havent read alot of chameleon research.

Hey lizzard lover....stop being a smarty jajkdkfj.....you get such a tude with people.

Call me crazy, but, imho, chameleons in the wild do eat dirt occasionally.

I am pretty thorough when it involves their nutrition and minerals needs.. Even so, once in a blue moon, they will still try to eat dirt (oddly my veiled is the one which seemed to be adamant about this).
now, I let mine eat dirt if they want to. I just sift the organic soil and throw away all the big particles, such as barks and pebbles, to prevent impactions.

I do not think there is a particular danger letting one's chameleon eat dirt AS LONG AS preemptive measures have been taken care.

Last edited:
I eat dirt in the wild.

The rescue chameleon I have, when I first got him he would constantly eat dirt. I'm sure it has to do with vitamins, hydration.. etc.
After almost a year I haven't seen him eat any dirt whatsoever. (And by dirt I do mean soil, y'all.)

Back
Top Bottom