Direct light, vs. ambient light

zlew

As everyone knows, it's always great to get the chams out for some natural sun. My question is, on a cloudy day, is the natural ambient light still beneficial even if they aren't really basking in it?

If the temperature is warm enough it's great, they're still getting the uv through the clouds, just like you still get sunburned on cloudy days.

As everyone knows, it's always great to get the chams out for some natural sun. My question is, on a cloudy day, is the natural ambient light still beneficial even if they aren't really basking in it?

I think it is.

I have a Solarmeter 6.2 and some cloudy days there is very little UVB getting through and other days a lot.

They see a lot more colors than we do, so I wonder if we don't make them a little crazy with artificial lighting because what comes out of a tube isn't quite the same as what comes out of the sun.

Although it may be not be perfect basking temperature/weather there are still rays of sunlight that radiate through the clouds and make it on to the chameleon. Therefore I would say that the little bit of real UV is better than the artificial we provide.

Back
Top Bottom