Dilepis issues

spadefish

Got this dilepis from LPS - they gave her (i think a female? - no spurs) today because, well take a look at the photos. She is dehydrated - but now is drinking well. Right eye (can't see in photos) is sunken but the turret itself looks swollen. Looks like infection to me.

The raised yellow/white lesions are crusty and basically round but somewhat conical like. There are what look like subcutaneous abscesses (for lack of a moredescriptive term) near the hind legs. The lesions also run down the tail. I plan on a vet visit Monday if I can get in.

She is 115 grams, a bit skittish, but curious an sweet. It was advertised as a flap neck. The occipital lobes are small and deflated from being dehydrated, but still I am thinking quilensis. Anyone know for sure? She DOES have the lateral stripe and a dot, but they are hard to see in the photo.

Anyone see lesions like this? Ideas? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMAG0132 (2).jpg
    IMAG0132 (2).jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 151
  • IMAG0133 (2).jpg
    IMAG0133 (2).jpg
    37 KB · Views: 143
  • IMAG0134 (2).jpg
    IMAG0134 (2).jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 180
  • IMAG0135 (2).jpg
    IMAG0135 (2).jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 132
  • IMAG0136 (2).jpg
    IMAG0136 (2).jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 112
A couple more photos - the first shows the wonky right eye.

Attachments

• IMAG0130 (2).jpg
    IMAG0130 (2).jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 123
  • IMAG0131 (2).jpg
    IMAG0131 (2).jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 161
Those lesions are similar to what I've seen a few times before. When the tests are done they can show up as pox virus or bacterial or fungal. In all cases, the lizards I've seen with them (if they are indeed the same) have died. I think the vets just didn't have enough experience with treating them (and in one case didn't listen to me and act fast enough).

I hope you can save this chameleon!

Make sure you keep her quarantined away from your other critters.

I was afraid it might be a pox. I am really most concerned with what look like subq abscess-like spots near her hind quarters. I think there may be multiple issues going on here, unfortunately. Any ideas on how to treat these things?

Icky skin lesions

I should have named this thread Icky skin lesions. Anyone?

Kinyonga, thanks for the comments. I really want to hear from anyone who has dealt with this. Has anyone had a cham survive this kind of thing?

**QUARANTINE QUARANTINE QUARANTINE** Def looks like it can be a version of pox (or parapox virus), which like many viruses can be difficult to cure. What I do recommend a Povidone Iodine bath (betadine) 6 times a day. Heavily bath the affected areas on the ventrum while cleaning them with gauze (Gauze and betadine solution can be bought cheaply at pharmacy). Do this for a minimum of 7 days. After the 'betadine baths' dry her up real good and put some topical triple antibiotic ointment (or neosporin is adequate) on the affected areas. Continue to keep her as hydrated and warm as possible, along with all the other good husbandry practices. I do think she would benefit from some systemic antibiotic therapy, and deworming. Some topical Gentamycin opthalmic solution would be beneficial for her eye.

The betadine bath is not a common practice by veterinarians, but I am a strong believer in it. Whether it will work or not, we can't be sure, but if she were my cham, I would sure as hell give it a shot.

Best of luck.
Dr Ren (Vet)

She is quarantined. Should I dilute the betadine? I have some gent ointment on hand, I think. Going to vet as soon as I can get her in. I am going to try the betadine baths, but fewer times per day. She will really stress with that much handling. Thanks for the advice!

If it is Povidone Iodine 10% solution, you don't need to dilute it out. It is as safe antiseptic/ antifungal as there is. Betadine baths every 4 hours would be ideal, but if it is going to stress her out, every 6-8 hours should be adequate if this is indeed a bacterial or fungal.

If it is a (para)pox virus, I would be cautious with its zoonotic potential, although unlikely, I would use gloves to handle her, just in case.

Dr Ren (Vet)

She has now had one betadine "bath" (I soaked gauze in betadine and rubbed it onto the lesions then rinsed with a saline spray). I used neosporin on the lesions and terramycin on the eye. She actually liked it once she calmed down and stopped hissing at me. She had a nice long shower and drank. She is eyeing some crickets in a cup, but has not made any moves to eat yet. However, I am encouraged that she is drinking. She has a really nasty looking toe on one front foot which looks like it might need to be removed. But, I will update on that after the vet visit.

Thanks, Ren, for the advice.:)

Update

Took her to the vet today. Subq fluids, antibiotics, panacur. Will continue with abx and fluids every day. She has started to shed - there are literally layers of old skin under there. Her toes are going to need work and TLC. One fell off today (yes, a toe fell off because of retained skin from a prior shed). The skin lesions are mostly crusted and are actually coming off with the shed for the most part, leaving gray spots where the scales had been. I am covering these and the remaining lesions with neosporin. Eye looks better after two doses of terramycin.

I am feeding her a mixture of chicken baby food and pedialyte. She will not feed on her own. It is anyone's guess if she will make it, but she is still full of piss and vinegar which I take as a good sign.

This is what happens when these poor creatures are put in boxes and left without water. It is unbelieveable to me that anyone accepting this creature from a distributor wouldn't know immediately that there was something wrong. Ugh.

Back
Top Bottom