Difficulty Shedding?

Sam Carline

Hi guys,

I am unsure if my Cham is having difficulties shedding or not. His spine has been like this for a while and it doesn't appear to be moving.

Should I be concerned? He also has a slight spike growing from his casque which I will post a photo of separately.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 136
This is on going and has been the same through 3 or 4 sheds now.

Increasing his humidity should help the process, and a good spray down with warm water will help too. If the humidity in his vivarium isn't high enough he'll continue having trouble fully shedding. They also like to rub against branches and vines to aid the process, so make sure he has plenty.

This is on going and has been the same through 3 or 4 sheds now.

The pics are a bit blurry, but I am wondering if he had been burned on his spine at some point. The area that looks like it is trying shed has a very defined margin to it. Did you get this cham as an adult from someone else? His dorsal spines look worn down or missing. Has the skin in the area itself changed color over time? (not the usual reactive color change, but a constant color of grey). Don't know what to make of the casque "spine"...one off-the-wall idea. Could it be a small strip of dry-dead scabby skin that has lifted off the ridge of his casque? Again, I am wondering if its the result of a thermal injury. The top of their back and top of the casque are classic areas for burns.

Last edited:
I've had him since a baby but when I noticed it I thought it was because he was having difficulty shedding but I've now noticed some of spine are missing and I don't want him to be in any pain! He's fine on himself, eating and drinking as normal and comes out for a rome around.

I've attached a photo of his set up. But I don't think his lamp is too close to him but I suppose it may have been at some point? I have no idea. I just want the skin to clear from his back. I've got some shedding spray on order to see if that helps but I don't want to make things worse for him!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 103
Back
Top Bottom