Difficult situation

Hello ladies and gents so I live in the tundra and very dry climate of Alaska. I'm having a really hard time keeping the humidity up in my mesh terrarium and am currently looking into exo Terra terrariums because I feel like it would be better for my type of climate only thing is... we don't have much for stores up here and the only pet store we have doesn't have any exo Terra's for sell. Is there anyway I can get one to ship here? Or is there any alternative to caging? Thank you for any help!

Until you can find an exoterra you can cover three sides of your mesh cage with plastic sheeting to retain humidity and increase the number of live plants in your cage. I'm assuming you are using a misting system if not you need one, they are invaluable for maintaining humidity.
Amazon sells just about everything. I just can't imagine what shipping would cost you.

Until you can find an exoterra you can cover three sides of your mesh cage with plastic sheeting to retain humidity and increase the number of live plants in your cage. I'm assuming you are using a misting system if not you need one, they are invaluable for maintaining humidity.
Amazon sells just about everything. I just can't imagine what shipping would cost you.
Thanks! I'll rap the cage I do use a fogging/misting system and spray her down with a bottle as well. Her left eye isn't opening but isn't sunk either so I assume it's from lack of moisture

Thanks! I'll rap the cage I do use a fogging/misting system and spray her down with a bottle as well. Her left eye isn't opening but isn't sunk either so I assume it's from lack of moisture
If you can make a custom enclosure it might be cheaper than buying one for your area. But about the eye thing can you post some pics of it? She could have something in her eye. I would highly recommend picking up an automatic mister like stated above it will help tremendously with humidity and IMO is a must just because they also use it to clean out there eyes which very well could be her problem.

If you think she is having an eye or dehydration problem a "shower" might help her.
"Shower - Another method of providing water, especially to dehydrated chameleons, is by using a shower. Place a large plant in the tub, aim the shower head against the wall, and run the water so that only a fine mist reaches the chameleon. The water should be room temperature (not hot!). They may drink for up to 30 minutes. Make sure to supervise your chameleon at all times while using this method."
In fact this page might help you with your humidity situation. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/water/

I'm not sure how much shipping costs, but my favorite site for cham supplies is petmountain.com. I hope you can find something affordable! Otherwise, building a custom cage is definitely cheapest, as mentioned above, but of course very time-consuming.

Check out petco's shipping policy. near Christmas, I ordered the largest exo they have (36x18x36) which was on sale for $200 and they had free shipping... You had to provide your phone number so the local freight guy could call when he was going to deliver it, but otherwise, a nice transaction. I do not know if they ship to Alaska though.

If you can make a custom enclosure it might be cheaper than buying one for your area. But about the eye thing can you post some pics of it? She could have something in her eye. I would highly recommend picking up an automatic mister like stated above it will help tremendously with humidity and IMO is a must just because they also use it to clean out there eyes which very well could be her problem.
I posted a picture of her not to long ago but her health has been declining and I assume it's from dehydration. The eye that doesn't open bulges out in the front every so often and she will sometimes close the other eye and go into a frantic climbing spree sometimes almost hurting herself. Aside from my mister I got a bottle and have been spraying her down constantly in hoping to help her recover.

Attachments

• IMG_0201.JPG
    IMG_0201.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0202.JPG
    IMG_0202.JPG
    201.5 KB · Views: 125
UPDATE: I have had my basking lamp on top of the cage for a while and she had been doing fine but I upgraded the bulb to one that gets her basking up to 100 from about 7 or 8 inches above the cage. As I said before she had a bulge on one of her eyes and I just witnessed her pushing and scraping it against the rough vine I have for her to climb on. I think that she may have gotten a burn??

I would really recommend getting her to a vet by any means necessary then. I'm not an expert in health by any means but I would take her about the eye thing. Also she does not look dehydrated how are her urates looking? But 100 is way too hot for her I would keep it right at 90 for her.

Back
Top Bottom