Different cham food and gutloads

bluegoldfish

I just got my cham to eat some waxworms, and he loved them!
Quick question, wondering what i should gut load them on? if i need to?
And is ok to feed my crickets and locusts - banana and lettuce, as well as normal calcium plus cricket food pellets?

I wana get him some silkworms, but its very hard to get in the UK, Ive recently found.

My cham seems to be very picky and refusing whatever is the first food i give him that day even if i leave it in his tank all day, then when i offer him something different later he gobbles it down?

Unlike crickets, waxworms have a narrower range of foods that they will eat..so gutloading them is harder. In the wild, wax worms eat honey, beeswax and pollen....you might be able to "hide" other things in the mixture you use to feed them...but I have never tried it so I don't know if it would work.

Here's a site that tells you what to feed them when raising/keeping them...
http://adcham.com/html/insects/insects-waxworm-rearing.html

Hope this helps!

Fatty worms

Im not sure if this is true but ive herad that wax worms are fatty and that they shouldnt be fed as a staple diet and more like a snack every once in awhile.

Oops...just realized I didn't answer this...
you said..."is ok to feed my crickets and locusts - banana and lettuce, as well as normal calcium plus cricket food pellets?"...I don't have locusts...they aren't allowed here. I feed/gutload my crickets a wide variety of greens (dandelion, collards, kale, endive, escarole, ROMAINE lettuce (just a little for moisture), mustard greens, etc.) and veggies (carrots, squash, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, zucchini, etc.)...which should be okay for locusts too.

Chill said..."wax worms are fatty and that they shouldnt be fed as a staple diet "...true.

Back
Top Bottom