Difference in Roaches?

CasqueAbove

Chameleon Enthusiast
I have posed this question before in reference to nutritional value. Do different roaches have different nutritional values? The conclusion was a bit unclear. However in further findings I am seeing differences that could matter and suggest possible differences at least in trace elements. I had considered them like cattle, beef is beef. But I am now thinking I am trying to compare beef to goat to lamb, which are different.
So should we vary the roaches we use ? The thing that started me thinking was talking to someone about tarantulas. They preferred the red runners because they were soft bodied vs dubia which have a much thicker harder exoskeleton. Which made be think would these be better and more digestible ? Is one more fatty than the other? what is the ash content of the two when compared? Bees have very high ask like above %50 this is why they aren't as nutritious as other insects. One common problem in Chameleons is obesity. If comparing the two roaches yielded significantly more fats, would it not be like going from a healthy fish based diet to a fatty red meat diet?

You have to dig a little, but there are some differences.

There are 4 species on this table (3 together, and one farther down)
https://reptifiles.com/feeder-insect-nutrition-facts-chart/

A note on the same page says:
The Merck Veterinary Manual recommends that linoleic acid (Omega 6 fatty acid) be included in the diet for overall health. All insects except roaches contain linoleic and linolenic acids, so variety is beneficial.

There are probably other sources for other species.

Back
Top Bottom