Diego update & SHED question

Dawniegirl

The Update... I'm finally adding new picture, although not the best. It's a cell phone pic of Diego sleeping last night. We had a YAYYY moment yesterday and he shot his tongue out . I actually screamed to my hubby to come look. He was drinking and then BAMM out went the tongue and then again . It might be the new Vit.. Repashy and maybe even the DinoFuel. I mostly give Repashy but some DinoFuel as well for the pasted couple weeks. YAYYY.. I'm so excited. Also been letting him sun a bit more but sadly that will end soon due to dropping temps next week.
The SHED ???... His shed is not really coming off all that great and extra mistings are not doing it. I'm considering alternative methods but still waiting it out a little more. That dark spot on the side back of his mouth is shed still there and a hornworm got on the side of his mouth yesterday and wouldn't let go.. that part usually bright white. I think it's the shed though.. should I intervene? What do you think? He's getting much better, strong and very handsome .

Attachments

• IMG00626-20111007-2331.jpg
    IMG00626-20111007-2331.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 179
Yaaay! Excellent news!

As for the shed, how long has it been going on? I'd give it a couple more weeks, keep up with the misting and whatnot.
If after a while you see that he still has little spots of shed and he's taking longer than a couple days to get them off, I've gotten a wet cotton ball and just gently glide it over the spots. Usually with that the stubborn shed will come off. But don't fight with it if it won't come off easily, perhaps it isn't ready to detach.

Yaaay! Excellent news!

As for the shed, how long has it been going on? I'd give it a couple more weeks, keep up with the misting and whatnot.
If after a while you see that he still has little spots of shed and he's taking longer than a couple days to get them off, I've gotten a wet cotton ball and just gently glide it over the spots. Usually with that the stubborn shed will come off. But don't fight with it if it won't come off easily, perhaps it isn't ready to detach.

Thanks Olimpia :)!!! He has been trying to fully shed about 2 weeks now. I've been dying to help get the shed on his face and mouth off for him.

I am glad to hear that he is showing some improvement. I agree with Olimpia on the shed to just give it some more time.

Last edited:
Hmm, that does sound like a good chunk of time already. Try the wet cotton ball trick and gently try to rub it off. Do this especially after he's had a long misting session, so the skin is already wet, hopefully the skin is softer. The with the cotton ball it should just come right off. At least some of it, hopefully the rest of the shed will follow on its own shortly.

My Daedalus had this chunk of shed on his side that was on there for weeks and he just wasn't getting it off. I went over it with the cotton ball and it came right off without any effort. Sometimes for whatever reason it won't come off on it's own, and maybe it's at a weird angle to rub against a branch. Don't force the shed, but help out if you think it would be welcome. Use your best judgement.

Hmm, that does sound like a good chunk of time already. Try the wet cotton ball trick and gently try to rub it off. Do this especially after he's had a long misting session, so the skin is already wet, hopefully the skin is softer. The with the cotton ball it should just come right off. At least some of it, hopefully the rest of the shed will follow on its own shortly.

My Daedalus had this chunk of shed on his side that was on there for weeks and he just wasn't getting it off. I went over it with the cotton ball and it came right off without any effort. Sometimes for whatever reason it won't come off on it's own, and maybe it's at a weird angle to rub against a branch. Don't force the shed, but help out if you think it would be welcome. Use your best judgement.

Thanks Olimpia I will try that and hopefully get some off for him :). What do you think about shed off product with the cotton ball or would just plain water be better? TIA

I don't know anything about those so I couldn't say. Water has worked for me but I don't know how much better or not those products work :/

Thanks for all the advised and help with Diego. I've been wanting to update again. He had a relatively new "FULL" body shed. That did come entirely off. I adding pic of it and his new colors. We are still struggling with his eye issue (gonna do Vit A on his worms soon & maybe get the Repashy w/Vit A) and he's still not shooting for his food but I'm managing to keep him fed w/ worms (mostly butterworms and a couple horns. I know, I know.. I need to add in some crickets too). Let me know what you think. He's now 1 year and 5 months old.

Attachments

• DSCF9757.jpg
    DSCF9757.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 116
  • DSCF9767.jpg
    DSCF9767.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCF9777.jpg
    DSCF9777.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCF9800.jpg
    DSCF9800.jpg