Didnt seem right?

Moctezuma

ok well i went to a reptile store here i am located in chicago, i was going to buy some re cal w/ and w/o D3 also the multivitamin. Now the person at the pet store told me that i did not need to buy rep-cal without D3 since my Cham will mainly be indoors because of the weather in my state he will get everything he needs from the UVB light.. now this really got me confused because all i have read so far here is to get all three. Rep cal w/ and w/o D3 as well as the multiviatimin if anyone can help me out thank you. Also i have not bought my Cham yet i am waiting to have everything ready for him, thought i would but now im stuck.

people at pet stores usually dont know what they are talking about. get all three, you would really need to eliminate the one with d3 if your cham was getting a LOT of sunlight. so them saying no d3 is the wrong idea in the first place.

This is a false statement you do need all 3! The UVB is not enough on it's own. There are some good pet stores out there but to tell you the truth most have no clue what they are talking about. I also live in chicago dare I ask what pet store you went to?

Where abouts do you live? I was born in Everygreen Park, on the south side of Chicago and then moved to a town called South Holland. Moved to Florida 23 yrs ago but still a Chicago girl at heart! DA BEARS! lol By the way, what the others told you was correct about the d3. Score 1 for the forum and 0 for the Pet store!!! Welcome to the forums!!

This is a false statement you do need all 3! The UVB is not enough on it's own. There are some good pet stores out there but to tell you the truth most have no clue what they are talking about. I also live in chicago dare I ask what pet store you went to?

i went to the reptile house, far drive from me since its on 143rd and i live on 50th but that was one store everyone was talking about.

Where abouts do you live? I was born in Everygreen Park, on the south side of Chicago and then moved to a town called South Holland. Moved to Florida 23 yrs ago but still a Chicago girl at heart! DA BEARS! lol By the way, what the others told you was correct about the d3. Score 1 for the forum and 0 for the Pet store!!! Welcome to the forums!!

i live on 50th and pulaski, but i do know a few people in evergreen

that it is, ahhh that place also sold Chams. hmm if there telling me this faulse information who knos if i wanna buy a cham from there. I should just to save it.

like others have stated you most likelydo need all 3 (with him indoors), make sure and look up how offten you should give him/her based on the species (montanes are more sensitive to over supplemention so you have to be carefull). also make sure and gut load your feeders on the right kind of veggies, fruits and grains.

ok well i went to a reptile store here i am located in chicago, i was going to buy some re cal w/ and w/o D3 also the multivitamin. Now the person at the pet store told me that i did not need to buy rep-cal without D3 since my Cham will mainly be indoors because of the weather in my state he will get everything he needs from the UVB light.. now this really got me confused because all i have read so far here is to get all three. Rep cal w/ and w/o D3 as well as the multiviatimin if anyone can help me out thank you. Also i have not bought my Cham yet i am waiting to have everything ready for him, thought i would but now im stuck.

the funny part about his statement is it sort of contradicts it's self, the main point of the UVB blub is to give off UVB which is then turned into D3 (by the chameleon) well if they got all they need from the UVB they would only need chalcium WITH OUT D3, but alast fake UVB lights do not mimic the sun perffectly, hence the reason to supplement with D3 as well.

the thing is with D3 (not from UVB) and vitamin A (not from beta carotene) it can build up in the chameleon's system so you don't want to over do it, which is why you need a calcuim supp with out D3 or vitamins (which is what will be used most the time).

like others have stated you most likelydo need all 3 (with him indoors), make sure and look up how offten you should give him/her based on the species (montanes are more sensitive to over supplemention so you have to be carefull). also make sure and gut load your feeders on the right kind of veggies, fruits and grains.

the funny part about his statement is it sort of contradicts it's self, the main point of the UVB blub is to give off UVB which is then turned into D3 (by the chameleon) well if they got all they need from the UVB they would only need chalcium WITH OUT D3, but alast fake UVB lights do not mimic the sun perffectly, hence the reason to supplement with D3 as well.

the thing is with D3 (not from UVB) and vitamin A (not from beta carotene) it can build up in the chameleon's system so you don't want to over do it, which is why you need a calcuim supp with out D3 or vitamins (which is what will be used most the time).

thats what i thought, and when he started saying his point of view it caught me off gaurd. he even said that i was the first person to ask for rep cal or sticky tongue farms w/o D3 in about 15 years... they didnt even carry any without D3 so glad i took the time to read threw these forms before i even went to a "pet store" blind.

that it is, ahhh that place also sold Chams. hmm if there telling me this faulse information who knos if i wanna buy a cham from there. I should just to save it.

you should check out the classifieds on these forums, the are a number of great breaders on these forums (I'd look for some one that has been a member here for a while with a good reputaion), chances are you will get a healther animal at the same (or less) cost.

about saving the chameleon, all buying from places that don't care properly for thier animals, is suports them and causes them to buy more chameleons. if you really want to help, learn all you can, politely offer them suggestions on how to improve thier husbandry (and directly or indirctly imply you will not do business with them untill they do)

I got my panther and my jacksons from a forum member (Lancecham) and could not be more pleased, with both the chameleons and the help and support from Lance.

moctezuma: be wary if you plan on rescuing a cham from a store that will supply you with false info..you may end getting more than you bargained for..its a shame these stores carry and then sell chams to people who believe what they tell us.maybe you could help educate the people at the store by doing some research and printing off the importance of prpoer supplementation and give it to them,they may toss it in the trash but they may take the advice and improve their knowledge thus helping the chams they house and sell and also the info they give to future customers..im so glad you came to this forum,it is truly a wonderful,knowledge full and caring place.you will find all you need in the way of raising a healthy and happy chameleon here..so... welcome! :)

ill look around some more, shame though thought it was a legit reptile store, might go back and look at FL or TIKI. they where selling the babies for 69.99 Veiled they looked good healthy green might be a new batch of babies. who knows.

yep actually went on there just now, getting everything else i need at reptmart.com done with the local "petshops" unless its an emergency.

Back
Top Bottom