Did the Breeder Lie to me About my Chameleon's Age?

Hey guys, so I've been looking around on the forums seeing pictures of chameleons that are about 4 months old, and that's the age of my chameleon. My chameleon is much smaller than the ones I see that are the same age as him, do you really think he's four months old?
Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 4.11.54 PM.png

he could be...., but he's severely dehydrated and or malnutrioned, where did you get him?
I got him from Robertson Reptiles and I have tried literally EVERYTHING to get him to eat. I have freeranged, cupfed, hung a bowl in his enclosure, bought a feeder run, and still he does not eat consistently. Everyone has given me the thumbs up for my husbandry yet he still won't eat regularly. Should I consider giving him to a rescue or a more experienced keeper?

How long have you had him?

Chameleons grow at different rates. I have a 2.5 month old veiled that is a about that size and I also have (same age) about 1/3 that size.
Crazy how different they grow with the exact same feeding, watering schedule.
Just picked up 3 panthers the same size at 4 months old (my first panthers)...

Chameleons grow at different rates. I have a 2.5 month old veiled that is a about that size and I also have (same age) about 1/3 that size.
Crazy how different they grow with the exact same feeding, watering schedule.
Just picked up 3 panthers the same size at 4 months old (my first panthers)...
That's good to hear. I agree however, he does look pretty malnourished. I have tried literally EVERYTHING to get him to eat. I have freeranged, cupfed, hung a bowl in his enclosure, bought a feeder run, and still he does not eat consistently. Everyone has given me the thumbs up for my husbandry yet he still won't eat regularly. Should I consider giving him to a rescue or a more experienced keeper?

Well! There is something definitely wrong and it could be a bunch of issues. I am not an expert on here but someone will be sending you a list of questions (once they get on). The list will provide others to help with possible problems. Sometimes even with perfect conditions it does not always work. Do you have a day one picture for comparison. That can help.

.....make sure his uv light is linear and not too strong...uv percentage to cage size, his basking should be at least 80°.... 88° is optimum night time drop to 65° is optimum....he needs all different size branches to climb around, with a good plant to hide in to feel safe...and dripping water once a day for 10 minutes and his food needs to be gutloaded 24 hours a day...they do grow at different rates...he is the size of my typical 2 month olds

I've looked through some of your previous post and my personal opinion is I think you may handling him to much. Chameleons need time alone and to create a routine for themselves. I would definitely try just keeping him in his enclosure and ensure you keep doing everything right i.e. misting and feeding and I think this may help him to establish a routine. It takes time for them to adjust and him being some what new he's probably stressed from the handling and you constantly moving or changing where you are putting him.

You may also want to take him to a vet to have him checked for parasites.

What feeders are you feeding him? I know superworms are not recommended as staples, but in the case of a malnourished cham, IMO they're a good way to get some calories into him. I'm not talking about anything long-term—perhaps just a few days until he begins to look better, then cut back and add in other feeders.

Back
Top Bottom