Did my wax worms pupate?

BenjiTheCham

Established Member
I bought some wax worms, just as a treat, and after a week they all looked like this
C6DE6879-866C-41A8-AF94-AD9E277E1743.jpeg

Is there anything special I need to do? How long will they be like this.
or did they just die lol

I bought some wax worms, just as a treat, and after a week they all looked like thisView attachment 272031
Is there anything special I need to do? How long will they be like this.
or did they just die lol
They will turn into moths in about a week or so. If you want to try breeding them, put them in a taller container with room to fly. Crumple up some paper for them to lay their eggs on. The moths mate and then die within a few days to a week. Remove the dead and add some bran/oat mixed with honey for when the eggs hatch. Keep it warm. I’ve been trying to breed them since January and have found it’s more trouble than it’s worth. If you don’t want to breed them, let them hatch in your chams enclosure for a moths snack. They are brutal to beehives so don’t just toss in the trash.

They will turn into moths in about a week or so. If you want to try breeding them, put them in a taller container with room to fly. Crumple up some paper for them to lay their eggs on. The moths mate and then die within a few days to a week. Remove the dead and add some bran/oat mixed with honey for when the eggs hatch. Keep it warm. I’ve been trying to breed them since January and have found it’s more trouble than it’s worth. If you don’t want to breed them, let them hatch in your chams enclosure for a moths snack. They are brutal to beehives so don’t just toss in the trash.
Do waxmoths eat honey?

I started trying to breed them in January for my leopard geckos. The freshly hatched larvae are just about too tiny to see without a magnifier. I’ve waited and waited and waited more for them to grow large enough to feed. It’s now 7 months later and many are still too small to feed off. I accidentally have moths doing their thing currently and will again try, but honestly it’s been a pain in the butt.
I also tried breeding mealworms and those were too easy. Ended up with hundreds of them. Tossed most out for the birds to eat.

I started trying to breed them in January for my leopard geckos. The freshly hatched larvae are just about too tiny to see without a magnifier. I’ve waited and waited and waited more for them to grow large enough to feed. It’s now 7 months later and many are still too small to feed off. I accidentally have moths doing their thing currently and will again try, but honestly it’s been a pain in the butt.
I also tried breeding mealworms and those were too easy. Ended up with hundreds of them. Tossed most out for the birds to eat.
Yeah you can go from 10 mealworms to 200 in like a month lol. This is my first cycle trying to breed waxworms we'll see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom