Did I do this right?

mrbonzai211

Ok, so I finally ditched the waterfall and I switched to a dripping system. What I did was take a small Tupperware and poked a small hole with a hot needle in the bottom. I then fill it and let it slowly drip over some of the leaves with another bowl on the floor to catch the drips. So did I do this drip thing wrong or is there a better way, and if so can someone post a diagram please? (I've spent $400 on my first cham already and I'm a college student so money is a HUGE issue right now).

Ok, so I finally ditched the waterfall and I switched to a dripping system. What I did was take a small Tupperware and poked a small hole with a hot needle in the bottom. I then fill it and let it slowly drip over some of the leaves with another bowl on the floor to catch the drips. So did I do this drip thing wrong or is there a better way, and if so can someone post a diagram please? (I've spent $400 on my first cham already and I'm a college student so money is a HUGE issue right now).

sounds about right.
:D
try to make the drip drops at least 1 droplet per second.
(if it's too hectic to make, just buy the "little dripper" at any local pet store_
make sure you change the water every day (and perhaps clean the Tupperware twice a week).
and drained the water at the bottom. Also, you might want to cover the bowl with screen to prevent your cham from drowning (depends on how big and how old your cham is).

I use a safety pin to poke the hole from the inside of a cheep plastic bowl. Also a useful suggestion is to have the water drip into a live plant, so their is no stagnant water collecting for bacteria to breed.

I put it in the dishwasher for major cleanings, and then when the hole frequently gets stopped up, I unstop it with a safety pin!

question. your bowl on the bottom to catch the water did you put some type of screen over it? that way your cham or feeders dont drown in it?

sounds about right, adjust the drip rate with the amount of water or size of the hole. when i did it instead of a screen i used a disposable plastic gladware thing and just poked holes in the lid. it worked great collecting water w/o lettin the cham or feeders at it. your cham will probably tend to poop on it too so it will make cage cleaning easier. i am in the same boat w/ college and $ so i get what your going thru. i was using this kind of collector dish with a little dripper as my primary watering method until someone got me a promist.

I use a safety pin to poke the hole from the inside of a cheep plastic bowl. Also a useful suggestion is to have the water drip into a live plant, so their is no stagnant water collecting for bacteria to breed.

no offense lbesok, but I'd highly discourage this. I used to have a dripper dripping into a pothos and it caused severe root rot that stank up my whole house. I ended up dripping it into a basin on the floor of the cage covered by a screen. What a pain to clean that every three or so days when it filled up. It stank too.

I finally just installed drainage into my cage, and I just recently broke down and bought a pro misting system. I can't even think about how much work it used to be to take care of this guy. Now it's a breeze

no offense lbesok, but I'd highly discourage this. I used to have a dripper dripping into a pothos and it caused severe root rot that stank up my whole house. I ended up dripping it into a basin on the floor of the cage covered by a screen. What a pain to clean that every three or so days when it filled up. It stank too.

I finally just installed drainage into my cage, and I just recently broke down and bought a pro misting system. I can't even think about how much work it used to be to take care of this guy. Now it's a breeze

I had something similar to this also but it also encouraged fungus gnats to swarm in and lay eggs on the ever damp soil. Its good to let it dry for a while between waterings imo. You could have the drippier just drip near the drainage area instead.

The bowl I'm using is shallow enough that my cham can't drown in it so that part should be ok. I am using leaves to drip the water on, but I use branches on my Schefflera arboricola that sit outside of the pot so there's absolutely no danger of the water going in the pot and rotting out the roots. I'm also not worried about the crix drowning in the water catcher because I cup my cham from a bowl that I place inside of the tree for her. The crickets almost never escape because they are dusted and can't see well enough to know that they are in the open sunlight, so they don't jump around and try to escape.

Back
Top Bottom