Diapause? How? When?

Chameleophlaged

Avid Member
I recently had a clutch of 12 F. Campani eggs, in researching I read that a diapause is employed in some species and Campani are usually mentioned, but that is all that is said.

Does anyone know if the diapause is obligatory or depends on environmental conditions? Or when do I lower the temperature and when do I raise back? Anyone know what the incubation period is?

They are 4 days old now and I'm keeping them at 68 degrees.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

I recently had a clutch of 12 F. Campani eggs, in researching I read that a diapause is employed in some species and Campani are usually mentioned, but that is all that is said.

Does anyone know if the diapause is obligatory or depends on environmental conditions? Or when do I lower the temperature and when do I raise back? Anyone know what the incubation period is?

They are 4 days old now and I'm keeping them at 68 degrees.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

That's awesome, good luck with the clutch!! Campani are really beautiful and we don't see nearly enough about them.

I would recommended contacting Kevin Stanford or Frank Payne, both of whom are breeders with experience with F. campani

Yes, you definitely should diapause. I had one egg take over a year and a half to hatch because I did not do so for my first eggs. Diapause goes as follows: 45 days at 70F, 45 days at 50F, then remainder at 68-74F. They generally hatch at about 8 months.

Thank you,

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom