Dexter (Male ambilobe Panther juvenile) is chewing on branch...

Hello all,
I recently got 2 ambilobe panthers, one male and one female, unrelated from an excellent breeder in KS. Dexter, my male has been chewing on the branches in the terrarium... Is this normal? My female (Kiwi) does not chew on them at all.
They are on a diet of my home raised crickets (banded) and silk worms, I feed the crickets the dry feed from joshs frogs and the orange cubes... Is this just a boredom thing, is it safe or is there more I should be giving in his diet..
FYI he is very mobile, he crawls all over the terrarium, her on the other hand is more secluded, they are currently together because they are juvies but I am getting a second terrarium for him this week!
Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Hi there and welcome to the forum! So this is normal for panthers. Just make sure your using all real branches. I just wanted to double check are you using a red bulb for heat? Kinda looks like a red light. If so you will want to toss that and do a plain white bulb for them. Glad to hear you are getting a second cage this week. I think you will find that she perks up a bit when they are not in the same enclosure.

If you would like additional feedback you can fill out the help form and we can make sure you were given all the proper info. :)

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

You can also expect to see him licking each branch as he transfers onto it from a different branch. This is also normal behavior that usually starts around the same time as bark biting.

Don’t know if females do it as well but I’d be curious to find out if you ever see her do it.

My female panther did this when she was 6mo-1 year but hasnt done it lately that I have seen.

Thank you everyone! I am glad this is a fairly normal behavior. I have yet to see her do it, just him thus far. I will fill out the info so I can get as much advice and help as possible as I am new to these gorgeous reptiles but they are amazing!

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male Panther and Female panther unrelated and just got them last month
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Daily
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I am breeding my own crickets and I also feed silk worms thus far, I have added orange cube to the cricket feed and I get repti calcium
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? repti calcium
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I do see them drink water from the leaves, I drip water in (mixed w repisafe) once or twice a day and humidity daily.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Not yet and they seem to appear normal- I raise dogs and chickens so I know about parasites
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Not sure if it matters but both have shed once since they arrived, she shed the second day here and he just did today!

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? I have the glass terrariums with screen top
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? lights on 12 hours, off 12. I am not sure the brand, my husband bought them but there is the red light and the white light, they are for chameleons
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 68 is lowest at night, 85 daytime, if I have windows open here and or humidity running for them 90 at the top
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? In living room away from fans and cold air supply runs, there are 3 humans in my house and a calm dog and the one side of the terrarium is blocked from the sight of the television so they dont get scared by it.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? New York Upstate

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Hello all,
I recently got 2 ambilobe panthers, one male and one female, unrelated from an excellent breeder in KS. Dexter, my male has been chewing on the branches in the terrarium... Is this normal? My female (Kiwi) does not chew on them at all.
They are on a diet of my home raised crickets (banded) and silk worms, I feed the crickets the dry feed from joshs frogs and the orange cubes... Is this just a boredom thing, is it safe or is there more I should be giving in his diet..
FYI he is very mobile, he crawls all over the terrarium, her on the other hand is more secluded, they are currently together because they are juvies but I am getting a second terrarium for him this week!
Thoughts? Thanks in advance! View attachment 242922
I have same problem, Just that mine likes my finger, and shakes side to side like a pit....

I have same problem, Just that mine likes my finger, and shakes side to side like a pit....
Phew!!! I am glad mines not the only one. Boy these Chams are amazing, now funny that Dex doesnt seem to be fond of me handling him but Kiwi so loves me, she walks through my hair!!! I am so glad I got these gorgeous creatures!

Back
Top Bottom