Deworming Meds

Jcarey98

Hi I need help! My Chameleon Ivy is about 2 months old and she suddenly got sick a few days ago so we took her to the vet. The doctor prescribed her with Panacur a deworming medicine. So my problem is she won’t take it orally and she tries to bite and hiss at us when we try to open her mouth to give it to her. So what I’m asking Is there any other way I can give it to her, like maybe putting it on her crickets or something like that? Thanks.

If you can get her to open mouth and hiss, you should be able to squirting it in. Gotta be quick and a good shot?
I've never had to use this med so probably others will chime in as far as using the feeders as a vehicle to deliver the goods.

Hi I need help! My Chameleon Ivy is about 2 months old and she suddenly got sick a few days ago so we took her to the vet. The doctor prescribed her with Panacur a deworming medicine. So my problem is she won’t take it orally and she tries to bite and hiss at us when we try to open her mouth to give it to her. So what I’m asking Is there any other way I can give it to her, like maybe putting it on her crickets or something like that? Thanks.
Unfortunately, you have to give it as prescribed. I’m curious though, did the vet run a fecal? What parasite does she have?

I wouldn’t give her Panacur unless she had a fecal and you know what kind of parasite she has. Panacur only works on certain kinds of parasites. I would not give my chameleons Panacur unless I know for sure they had a parasite that it would work on and especially not a baby like Ivy.

I strongly suggest not using feeder insects as a means of getting meds to your Chameleon. I had a Senegal with coccidia and I used crickets and black soldier flies and when his mouth was open shot the meds in. He then associated the insects with the meds making him very sick and refused to eat those particular insects. It took me 36 days to get him to eat voluntarily and I syringe fed him purée bugs to keep him alive every day.

if yours is voluntarily opening his mouth that’s perfect. But agreeing with everyone else, if a fecal wasn’t performed it should have been and I would find a vet that knows that.

When she opens to hiss or bite gently aim towards the back of her mouth... Did they run a fecal to know if it was a parasite issue though?
No they didn’t but he told me that’s what was wrong. This is my first ever reptile so I was just going off of what he said

Unfortunately, you have to give it as prescribed. I’m curious though, did the vet run a fecal? What parasite does she have?
No he didn’t. And he didn’t say what she had he just said she has parasites and I’m new to this so I didn’t really think to ask. Should I continue to give it to her?

I wouldn’t give her Panacur unless she had a fecal and you know what kind of parasite she has. Panacur only works on certain kinds of parasites. I would not give my chameleons Panacur unless I know for sure they had a parasite that it would work on and especially not a baby like Ivy.
Okay thank you for the feedback! As I said to the others I’m new to this and I didn’t really know about the meds or think to ask, I just trusted the vet. He didn’t say what parasite she had he just said she had them and prescribed Panacur. So should I not continue to give it to her since I don’t know for sure what parasite she has if any?

How did he know it had parasites if a fecal wasn't done?
I questioned that after the fact but didn’t really think about it at the vet because I was just worried about Ivy and making her feel better. I kinda feel like he suckered me...

She's really young ...describe how she's making you think she's sick.
Well last Tuesday & Wednesday she wouldn’t eat at all and then on Thursday she ate one cricket but I think it got stuck in her throat and then she like threw it back up or something so I was worried and called the vet and they said to bring her in. And then I told the vet what was going on and that’s when he said she has parasites and prescribed the meds. I mean she’s doing great now so I’m not sure what she wasn’t eating unless she was stressed out or something.

How many doses have you gave her so far?
She’s had 3 doses so far it would be 4 but I couldn’t for the life of me to get her to take it on Thursday which is when I took her to the vet and he gave me the medicine. He told me to give it to her for 2 weeks but I’m starting to think I shouldn’t give it to her anymore because I don’t want it to hurt her.

Last edited:
Personally I would not give meds without a real diagnosis... Vets do things like run a fecal to confirm if there are parasite issues, take blood work to check kidney function, listen to their breathing and inspect the mouth if they suspect a Respiratory Infection. The exam comes first then proof of what is happening to know how to medicate.

Certain meds can be hard on their organ function. So without a real diagnosis based on more then his idea of her symptoms this is pretty absurd to me. You can not visually look at a chameleon and say parasites with most of the parasites that they would carry. Those are microscopic and in the fecal matter.

Might I suggest you fill out the help form So we can make sure that it is not something in your husbandry causing the lack of appetite.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

You said..."she’s doing great now so I’m not sure what she wasn’t eating unless she was stressed out or something"...
I'm glad that she doing better now.
So the doses are daily? For how long? Then a break and another series of doses?

Personally I would not give meds without a real diagnosis... Vets do things like run a fecal to confirm if there are parasite issues, take blood work to check kidney function, listen to their breathing and inspect the mouth if they suspect a Respiratory Infection. The exam comes first then proof of what is happening to know how to medicate.

Certain meds can be hard on their organ function. So without a real diagnosis based on more then his idea of her symptoms this is pretty absurd to me. You can not visually look at a chameleon and say parasites with most of the parasites that they would carry. Those are microscopic and in the fecal matter.

Might I suggest you fill out the help form So we can make sure that it is not something in your husbandry causing the lack of appetite.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Okay thank you for your help! And I’ll definitely fill that out.

You said..."she’s doing great now so I’m not sure what she wasn’t eating unless she was stressed out or something"...
I'm glad that she doing better now.
So the doses are daily? For how long? Then a break and another series of doses?
Yeah he said daily for 2 weeks

Back
Top Bottom