design masterminds

kristy

So I was discussing new terrariums with my husband earlier and e reminded me we have a armoire just sitting in the guest room. So his wheels started turning. Looking for ideas as far as drain systems and all. It's 42 inches wide by 74 inches tall. 20141013_213412.jpg I've included pics if I can get some ideas

So I was discussing new terrariums with my husband earlier and e reminded me we have a armoire just sitting in the guest room. So his wheels started turning. Looking for ideas as far as drain systems and all. It's 42 inches wide by 74 inches tall. View attachment 102517I've included pics if I can get some ideas

So how much of the existing armoire structure are you willing to cut out? I'd want to cut panels out of the sides and replace panels with screen. Otherwise its going to be pretty closed in (air flow, overheating from lights) and dark (even with lighting). The wood will warp and rot if you don't seal all the wood very well. Several forum members have built drains into furniture bases. One that seemed easy included installing a false bottom...creating sloped panels (sealed wood with coroplast glued on top) on top of the original flat bottom that all lead to one drain point in the center. The slope doesn't have to be extreme. Installed a pvc drain fixture, pvc pool tubing that lead to a bucket underneath.

Years ago I saw a fantastic screen cage made out of a large old school library bookshelf in Reptiles magazine. Floor to ceiling, arched scrolled top and carved frame, but all the sides were screened in. It was beautiful.

So how much of the existing armoire structure are you willing to cut out? I'd want to cut panels out of the sides and replace panels with screen. Otherwise its going to be pretty closed in (air flow, overheating from lights) and dark (even with lighting). The wood will warp and rot if you don't seal all the wood very well. Several forum members have built drains into furniture bases. One that seemed easy included installing a false bottom...creating sloped panels (sealed wood with coroplast glued on top) on top of the original flat bottom that all lead to one drain point in the center. The slope doesn't have to be extreme. Installed a pvc drain fixture, pvc pool tubing that lead to a bucket underneath.

Years ago I saw a fantastic screen cage made out of a large old school library bookshelf in Reptiles magazine. Floor to ceiling, arched scrolled top and carved frame, but all the sides were screened in. It was beautiful.

im planning on getting a wooden vivarium myself but was wondering whats the best sealant i could use for the inside thats not harmful to pets?

im planning on getting a wooden vivarium myself but was wondering whats the best sealant i could use for the inside thats not harmful to pets?

To seal the wood look for a water-based seal or latex exterior paint that provides a hard gloss finish when it is thoroughly cured. Make sure the wood is completely dry and the product cured (you can't smell it and water will bead right off) before using it. You will probably have to reapply it periodically especially where the wood stays wet often.

Back
Top Bottom