Dermestid Beetles

Casket_Case

Avid Member
I was wondering if Dermestid Beetles can be fed to Chameleons, does anyone know? I’d like to get a culture for Taxidermy and I figured it’d be great to rely on the Dermestid Colony in case I can’t get crickets. I can get a starter from Josh’s Frogs so they won’t have pesticides.

I was wondering if Dermestid Beetles can be fed to Chameleons, does anyone know? I’d like to get a culture for Taxidermy and I figured it’d be great to rely on the Dermestid Colony in case I can’t get crickets. I can get a starter from Josh’s Frogs so they won’t have pesticides.

I've seen old threads on here and the consensus was that every once in a while could be OK but they couldn't be a staple. They're good clean up crew but probably don't eat regular gutload food right? Like black soldier fly larvae. And they have a hard shell like superworm beetles, which is probably tough to digest. It'd be interesting to see a proper nutrient breakdown for the larvae or beetles and know something more definitive tho!

I've seen old threads on here and the consensus was that every once in a while could be OK but they couldn't be a staple. They're good clean up crew but probably don't eat regular gutload food right? Like black soldier fly larvae. And they have a hard shell like superworm beetles, which is probably tough to digest. It'd be interesting to see a proper nutrient breakdown for the larvae or beetles and know something more definitive tho!
They only eat meat :) but they’d eat dead insects too :D you can legit feed them pork. That’s why we use them in taxidermy they clean up skeletons in a few weeks as opposed to burying one for five months. I’d like to do a full breakdown but I don’t wanna use Van as a guinea pig

Dermestids beetles are scavengers as they feed on dead animals and cadavers. Thus, they play a crucial role in cleaning up the environment. Outside, the larvae of dermestid feed on hair, fur, horn, feathers, or skins of the dead animals and even other insects.

Dermestids are very unusual insects as they also feed on feathers and hair. These are something avoided by every animal species because they are indigestible.

So with that said. Me personally, I wouldn't feed. But like the other guy said some people do it. If you do decide to feed just make sure you know what the larvae eats​

Back
Top Bottom