Delayed crest growth?

Hey all!

My chameleon is turning two very soon. I’ve always had this question.

Vet says he’s completely healthy. He had a burn scar on his crest and back that has been treated by the vet. But his crest seems to be a lot shorter? Do burns stunt the growth of the crest? Is this normal?

Attachments

• 1ADCB977-01D5-477D-AFA0-018C0393B032.jpeg
    1ADCB977-01D5-477D-AFA0-018C0393B032.jpeg
    634.6 KB · Views: 45
Hey all!

My chameleon is turning two very soon. I’ve always had this question.

Vet says he’s completely healthy. He had a burn scar on his crest and back that has been treated by the vet. But his crest seems to be a lot shorter? Do burns stunt the growth of the crest? Is this normal?
Hi! As far as I know it isn’t necessarily ‘normal’ for a burn to stunt casque growth. However, it really would depend on how deep and how much of the tissue was damaged with the burn. If your guy was young enough that his casque was still growing and he burned the tip half, or 50%, as he grows older his casque may grow but it still won’t exceed 50% in size.

I have dealt with many burns in the past. What amazes me is the ability of chams to regenerate given time, a lot of time. So i suggest you take compartive pics every six months to track changes. Chams r really remarkable creatures! He is gorgous nonetheless.

Back
Top Bottom