Dehydration Question

Kayla Wicklund

I just got three beautiful baby chameleons about a week ago. A few days ago one of them started to act a little funny by staying a light beige color and constantly sleeping. This morning I went to go check on him and he was barely able to hang on to the side of the cage. This afternoon I bought some pedialite to try and rehydrate him, but it was too late. His arms and legs were a dark color but the rest of his body was still light beige. Should I use pedialite for my other two? I’m heartbroken and I’m not losing another one

Attachments

• 85AFE98A-616E-40F2-A4EF-2DF0CA738EE9.jpeg
    85AFE98A-616E-40F2-A4EF-2DF0CA738EE9.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 135
  • 014785AE-CF1B-4CF3-A506-9D5E07EC6353.jpeg
    014785AE-CF1B-4CF3-A506-9D5E07EC6353.jpeg
    122.3 KB · Views: 140
Hi Kayla, welcome to the forum!

ICBW, but they look awfully young to me. :unsure:
I think this is one reason any animal should reach a certain (species-dependent) age before going to a potential forever home. When they're too young, they can (easily) crash through no fault of the adoptive parent, and then you feel like crap for something beyond your control or doing.

Unless the other two have definite symptoms of dehydration and are not drinking on their own—or at the direction of a herp veterinarian—I wouldn't give them pedialyte. IMO, Nature (capital "N") is best.

All that said, I think it would behoove you to copy/paste the pertinent information here:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/
so knowledgeable folks here can help you. ;)

Those babies look way too young to have been rehomed. The ‘standard’ that responsible breeders follow is not to sell them until they are at least three months old. The babies can be very fragile and are more sensitive to husbandry errors than older chams.
Have you had chameleons before?
I’m not experienced with babies to be able to advise you, but it is crucial that you answer the help questions best that you can. You need to let us know exactly what the conditions are in order to be helped properly. Here’s the form.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

My two boys are Jackson’s, have been in my care for about Three weeks now. I handle my chameleons a few times a day for feeding, which is usually one small cricket. They eat when they’re ready, sometimes I’ll take them out and put them in front of a clear bowl full to see if they’ll shoot at them. I just started two different powdered calcium
Those babies look way too young to have been rehomed. The ‘standard’ that responsible breeders follow is not to sell them until they are at least three months old. The babies can be very fragile and are more sensitive to husbandry errors than older chams.
Have you had chameleons before?
I’m not experienced with babies to be able to advise you, but it is crucial that you answer the help questions best that you can. You need to let us know exactly what the conditions are in order to be helped properly. Here’s the form.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
Should I use that form whenever I post an update or can I put it some where on my page?

My two boys are Jackson’s, have been in my care for about Three weeks now. I handle my chameleons a few times a day for feeding, which is usually one small cricket. They eat when they’re ready, sometimes I’ll take them out and put them in front of a clear bowl full to see if they’ll shoot at them. I just started two different powdered calcium

Should I use that form whenever I post an update or can I put it some where on my page?

Some people would take the time to look at your original posts for the care sheet, but it's likely that your husbandry may change slightly over time (and things get "buried" over time). My best advice is to save your answers somewhere you can readily copy/paste or quote if there are follow up questions in future posts. Definitely post the answers to the care sheet here though so that it can be easily reviewed.

You should not handle them. They need tons of fruit flies at this age and the correct temps with the correct supplementation. They need UVB lighting on their cage.

@JacksJill is our jackson expert.

And here is additional information. https://chameleonacademy.com/the-jacksons-chameleon-trioceros-jacksonii/

I would never recommend starting with Jackson's that are less than 4 mos old and I don't sell mine before they are 6 months old. They don't react well to the stress of a new cage at that age. Any excess heat or supplements or incorrect husbandry will quickly make them sick at that age.

Back
Top Bottom