Dehydration HELP!!

Ashlynn.wescom

My veiled y who I have had for about a week now eyes are sinking which I know is caused by dehydration and I’m not sure why. I have a dripped I am misting more than 3 times a day. Last night I decided to take him from his plant and put the whole plant in the shower and mist from above excessively and he drank a good amount of water but that’s the first time I’ve actually seen him drink since I got him idk what to do. Could he have been sick when I got him he was extremely skinny from PetSmart. Could it be my water?? Im using tap water I have a dual uvb and daylight fixture with both sides on and I also have an 18 inch uvb fixture as wel is too much uvb drying him out?? Help!!

Welcome to the forum. Can you post pics of your entire enclosure lights down and of the baby?

My veiled y who I have had for about a week now eyes are sinking which I know is caused by dehydration and I’m not sure why. I have a dripped I am misting more than 3 times a day. Last night I decided to take him from his plant and put the whole plant in the shower and mist from above excessively and he drank a good amount of water but that’s the first time I’ve actually seen him drink since I got him idk what to do. Could he have been sick when I got him he was extremely skinny from PetSmart. Could it be my water?? Im using tap water I have a dual uvb and daylight fixture with both sides on and I also have an 18 inch uvb fixture as wel is too much uvb drying him out?? Help!!
Before you panic, could you fill out the following form:
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

They often need a few minuets of misting , rain, before the start to drink. Make sure and mist for several minuets in morning and night to give him a chance to drink.
The second thing you need is a fogger. They really do get a lot of moisture from the fog.

I’ve had him for about a week I am not sure exactly how old but he is a juvenile. I haven’t really been handling him much only to clean cage or when I moved him to the shower. I am feeding crickets I am gut loading with mustard greens and cucumbers. I fed him in the morning and put a couple crickets in his cage every l now and then through the day. I have him on a 9-9 schedule 12 with the 2 uvb and 1 day bulbs and 12 hours darkness’s I am using a dripper with multiple mistings a day. Temp varies from 72-75 humidity is 91% I have him in my bedroom could we be scaring him I have a very loud 2 year old

Attachments

• 78402605-2779-4F8A-920D-86C7BAD15797.jpeg
    78402605-2779-4F8A-920D-86C7BAD15797.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 81
You've missed quite a few details....like supplements.urate color...basking temperature...brand of the bulbs...etc.

I’ve had him for about a week I am not sure exactly how old but he is a juvenile. I haven’t really been handling him much only to clean cage or when I moved him to the shower. There are conflicting opinions on the efficacy and safety of using showers, and many find them to be unnecessary. I am feeding crickets I am gut loading with mustard greens and cucumbers.Not sure about cucumbers, but mustard greens are good. I’d recommend expanding this to include many more items: carrots, apples, dandelion greens...there is a good list in the “care images section” I fed him in the morning and put a couple crickets in his cage every l now and then through the day. I have him on a 9-9 schedule 12 with the 2 uvb and 1 day bulbs and 12 hours darkness’s we probably need more information here: what specific type of uvb bulb are you using—corkscrew type/t5/t8, etc. I am using a dripper with multiple mistings a day. this alone seems to indicate that dehydration might not be your issue. Stress causes sunken eyes Temp varies from 72-75 humidity is 91%this is very high humidity to have all day long. According to many, high humidity near 100% at night is good, and a daytime drop below 50% is also good. I have him in my bedroom could we be scaring him I have a very loud 2 year old this is probably true. I recommend 1) make a vet appointment, 2) try to answer all the questions in the form in as much detail as possible, 3) try keeping excited activity to minimum in his room.

I am using reptivite to dust crickets and calcium. The bun brands were zoo med I believe I’m not sure what you mean by urates. I put the thermometer directly under the light on top of the cage

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 69
I am using reptivite to dust crickets and calcium. The bun brands were zoo med I believe I’m not sure what you mean by urates. I put the thermometer directly under the light on top of the cage
Yikes, if you’re dusting with reptivite at every feeding, you’re giving way too many vitamins. Until you can research which supplement regime you feel comfortable with, please either use plain calcium with no d3 at every feeding, and reptivite every two weeks. Alternatively, you could pick up a bottle of repashy calcium plus LoD and use it as your only supplement at feeding. But please stop dusting with reptivite at every feeding.

When the chameleon defecates there are two parts to it the dark feces/poop and the light urates/urine. What color is the urate part...pure white or orange or tinged orange?

Since the answers are still not clear I guess we will have to do it the long way...ill have to spend my time providing you with information and you can make any changes necessary.

Males have tarsal spurs. Females don't. If it's a female then you need to tell us because females lay eggs even when not mated and need special care.

Unless there is a specific reason to shower a chameleon it's not necessary.

A jeuvenile veiled chameleon can be fed as many appropriately sized insects as it can eat in a couple of minutes at each feeding. As the chameleon grows they can start to be fed every other day. The insects should be fed/gurloaded well...you want healthy insects so your chameleon will have a healthy diet. I feed/gutload the insects with greens such as kale , collards, dandelion greens, endive, escarole, and veggies such as carrots, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, and a very little bit of fruit such as pears, apples, melon, papaya, berries.

The insects should be dusted with a phos free calcium powder lightly at all feedings a week but one. On the missed day alternate..one week with a phos free calcium/D3 powder lightly and the next week lightly with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene prOformed source of vitamin A. This leaves it up to you to provide a preformed source of vitamin A when its needed. PrEformed vitamin A and D3 from supplements can build up in the system and lead to health issues so you want to be careful not to overdo them.

Plants should all be nontoxic well washed both sides of the leaves...veileds nibble in them....and you don't want them to nibble on fake ones or toxic not washed plants.

The most often recommended UVB light is the reptisun 5.0 long linear tube light...and the most often recommended basking light is a regular incandescent household bulb.
Basking temperature should be in the mid to low 80'sF for a veiled chameleon.

If you live in a cold climate, the cage should not be near the window and if you live in a hot climate be aware that if the sun shines through the window on the cage it could overheat the chameleon too.

So what can I do to bring the basking temp down?

is 116f is your basking temps? From the pictures somethings wrong and he is struggling, do you have a picture of the first day he is came to your place? (picture of him 1-2 weeks ago?)
For now, close the basking just keep the uvb give him a basking break (like a cloudy day). Can you also grab a pictures of his next poop please?

Back
Top Bottom