Dehydrated ?

CasqueAbove

Chameleon Enthusiast
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Female Yemen. approx 1year 3 months. Been in my care for 1 year.
  • Handling - I don't really handle, only as is necessary.
  • Feeding - Primary diet is dubia, I feed 1/2 or smaller. In addition wax worms, bsfl, and yard plankton, bees, flies, mosquito hawks, etc.
  • Supplements - Flukers calcium no D3 any feeding that is not yard plankton, or bsfl. except 4. alternating every week Fluckers Reptile Vitimin w/ beta carotene, and Sticky Toungue Farms Indoor Miner-all with d3.
  • Watering - Mister 5 min 2 hrs after lights on. 5 min 1/2 hr before lights out. Fogger 5 pm to 8 pm, lights out 7:30. Fog 12:00 am to 4 am with a 1 min 30 sec mist at 12:00 am (to boost night humidity), I do see her drink.
  • Fecal Description - Never tested for parasites. urates are currently yellowish , hense the post
  • History - Recent changes have been the addition of the multi vitamin. I have decreased the misting schedule to the above mentioned within the last month. There were two additional day time misting of about 3 min each.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type -Open enclosure in master bathroom. 40 in H x 40 in W x 28 in D
  • Lighting - MegaRay 160 watt, set back and at 45 degree angle, There is a branch that goes out for basking that is 13 in from bulb, not in direct line, but within 30 degree angle.
  • Temperature - I am using the Govee for temp and humidity. There are temp gradients in the enclosure from low 70s to low 80s. I create day and night. See attached images for more.
  • Humidity - Govee to measure. Day and night changes using fog and mist. See attached images.
  • Plants -All live plants. Ficus(new, has not eaten aware of issue) pathos, spider plant, kangaroo paw Fern? Umbrella plant
  • Placement - In corner over tub, low traffic, no direct approach.
  • Location - Salem Oregon, USA
Current Problem -The last two urates, that I have found, one today 15th, and one on the 6th, have been yellow, and when fresh had a grayish thin slime layer. Once it sat for a few minuets just yellow.
I understand yellow means dehydration. These are some recent differences in her life. 1-2 months of receptive, getting off enclosure multiple times a day. It is a closed room and cham safe, so not a huge issue.
She has within the last week or so gone gravid, and appears ready to shed. She does have lay bin, multiple actually, and has used 2 of the options in the past.
Could the shedding and being gravid add to dehydration ? I have noticed her drinking on a regular bases, oddly I used to never see her drink, and her urates were good.

I am creating seasons, as it will actually be easier for me. It is a summer season now for them.

Temp/humidity Ambient Day
IMG_0434.PNG

Ambient Week
IMG_0435.PNG

Basking Note the guage hangs under the branch, so actual temp is likely 3 to 4 degrees warmer.
Day
IMG_0432.PNG
Week
IMG_0433.PNG

From the 6th
IMG_0391.jpg

15th Note the full undigested BSFL
IMG_0430 1.jpg

Enclosure
IMG_8857.JPG

I'm definitely not an expert but it looks like the humidity dips a bit low but overall seems like an okay schedule. Especially being in Oregon (I'm in Michigan) you might want to increase your misting just a tad at least until warmer months. I have to put a shower curtain on 3 sides of my cage. Yours is pretty open so you are having to hydrate the whole room basically. Do you have a picture of your chameleon? Do her eyes look sunken in at all? Sunken eyes is another sign of dehydration. You can try getting her some hornworms, they are a hydrating tasty morsel.

I'm definitely not an expert but it looks like the humidity dips a bit low but overall seems like an okay schedule. Especially being in Oregon (I'm in Michigan) you might want to increase your misting just a tad at least until warmer months. I have to put a shower curtain on 3 sides of my cage. Yours is pretty open so you are having to hydrate the whole room basically. Do you have a picture of your chameleon? Do her eyes look sunken in at all? Sunken eyes is another sign of dehydration. You can try getting her some hornworms, they are a hydrating tasty morsel.

She looks great, it has improved over the last 2 poops, I had changed her mister timing and I think it through her off. I normally never caught her drinking before. It has also gotten warmer.

so yes my humidity drops, but this is how it is for them, at least in the dry season of Yemen. My system is overboard . At this point I can control the weather. That is why I was thrown. What I did not account for was her ability to quickly adapt.
I am now keeping her schedule and change slowly when needed.
It was also the grayish slime that bothered me, but that has cleared as well.
EC51B9B0-BBB6-4E3E-8087-BFDD96EC52DC.jpeg

wait so the free range is above the bath tub? What if you take a bath and he mistakes it for a hornworm or silkworm... i mean that wont be good!

Back
Top Bottom