Dehydrated female

Creoprincess

Hiya! So I have two chams, my boy Luther and my girl Artemis. Luther has really taken to this place I think and he no longer hides when I'm around or shows any sign of discomfort. Unfortunately, I can't say the same about my girl. Luther loves to drink and I have a bottle that he drinks from as well as the daily misting. I love the bottle because he can drink as much as he wants and I know he isn't dehydrated but my girl is just scared of me. She's gravid and I estimate it'll be a week or two before she lays and she hasn't been drinking despite the fact that I mist her all day throughout the day. I'm worried she'll lay and pass away afterwards if I don't get her to drink. I've even contemplated forcing her to drink but don't want to stress her. Any advice?

Did you mate your female?
How old is she?
How much are you feeding her in a week?
Post a photo please.
She is not mated, she is 8 months old, she gets fed 5 medium dubia roaches every other day.

Attachments

• 20210114_142316.jpg
    20210114_142316.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 20210114_142257.jpg
    20210114_142257.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 77
I can't see the female clear enough. I'd like to see all of her.
You said you have two...what species? You posted once before about a make veiled and an ambilobe Panther before, didn't you?

Running a humidifier/fogger at night for at least 5 hours will keep her hydrated regardless of her ever taking a drink. They naturally drink thru fog so this is a sure way to get her hydrated without stressing her with a mister. Good luck with the eggs!

Interesting. Maybe you have everything backwards. Maybe it is the cham who constantly drinks from your spray bottle that is dehydrated which is why he keeps drinking. Though it is truly impossible to tell if your female is dehydrated without a close-up picture. Do not force her to drink water, especially if you think she is gravid--way too much stress.

Do you have a hygrometer to measure humidity? It is one thing to mist during the day. But what is the humidity level?

Additionally, if there are water droplets in her cage, she may be lapping them up when you leave the room. Once you get familiar at telling their health by looks, you no longer need to worry if they are drinking. If she looks healthy, then she is drinking.

Have you ever thought about doing a naturalistic hydration schedule that requires misting at night instead of during the day? Like @Shanar808 said above, high humidity at night hydrates your cham without the need of misting during the day. Though this schedule is easiest if you have a mistking.

Interesting. Maybe you have everything backwards. Maybe it is the cham who constantly drinks from your spray bottle that is dehydrated which is why he keeps drinking. Though it is truly impossible to tell if your female is dehydrated without a close-up picture. Do not force her to drink water, especially if you think she is gravid--way too much stress.

Do you have a hygrometer to measure humidity? It is one thing to mist during the day. But what is the humidity level?

Additionally, if there are water droplets in her cage, she may be lapping them up when you leave the room. Once you get familiar at telling their health by looks, you no longer need to worry if they are drinking. If she looks healthy, then she is drinking.

Have you ever thought about doing a naturalistic hydration schedule that requires misting at night instead of during the day? Like @Shanar808 said above, high humidity at night hydrates your cham without the need of misting during the day. Though this schedule is easiest if you have a mistking.
Humidity stays in the 40-50
Still waiting for a photo so we can see the whole chameleon from the side.
Photo of the urates would be good too.
I just cleaned their enclosure 😖 but I'll get that picture

That humidity is good for days but nights you will want it up at 100. You have a lay bin (with privacy) ready? Hornworms can help the dehydration also. @kinyonga does she look thin to you?

Back
Top Bottom