Dehydrated and not cared for

michaelwl

Hi all,

Got my first chameleon 3 days ago with enclosure, some kids that my s/o takes care of got bored of it and gave it to us...

I've gotten all the info I can over the past three days and 2moro i'm setting up his terrarium so he's got all the basics.

When we got him, he's a 7" male Flap neck (guessing 6months old), his terrarium didn't have a UVB/A lamp, no running water and wasn't being fed a calcium supplement. Also the kid told my s/o that we only have to put the light on in winter...

I noticed his poop was yellow, signs of deyhdration I've read, and misted his cage yesterday and we saw him drink for the first time, he ate 4 crickets yesterday morning and 4 yesterday evening and drank the misted water for like 10 minutes straight (he must of been really dehydrated).

He hasn't eaten this morning.... should I be concerned?

Also my s/o didn't wanna leave the light on today because she's concerned it too hot (the temp has been averaging 80degrees F) should we leave it on regardless and he'll thermoregulate himself... ? (We're getting a timer for his lights and installing a UVB/A lamp tomorrow)

Does anyone know the humidity requirement for this species? We've been keeping it as high as possible 70 - 80%

What other tips can anyone offer?

P.S. I've gotten him calcium with added Vitamin d3, so far only feeding him crickets but gonna get other variety as well and since he didn't get calcium before I've been giving it to him everyday until next week just to make sure he's got enough.

Also, I know I need to sort the whole "flowing water, cascading down the leaves story" but I'm not sure whats the best, dont have too much cash so simpler cheaper options would be great?

And lastly do any of you use water tablets for their water, is it a necessity, which are the best?

Okay there are some owners of flap necks in here so hopefully they will jump in and help you out with husbandry parameters. As far as I know for the time being these guys come from the savannha 80's should be okay, staying in the 50-70% humidity is your best bet without further information.

No UVb along with no supplements can be a very bad thing unless he was allowed outside time everyday or at least a couple times a week. I would do a search on M.B.D. just so you know what signs to look for and to moniter your new chameleon.

Yes yellow in his poop is a sign of dehydration. Dehydration will also show up in the eyes. They will be sunk in. You may see some loose skin on the body also. I like misting with the hottest water the tap will allow. When this passes through air it is cooled dramatically. Kind of help the water not to be as shocking when it hits their body. Also creates a nice steam that will bump up your humidity. Tap water is safe with no other additives. If you have hard water in your area your chameleon will receive calcium and other various minerals while drinking.

The calcium with D3 you have make sure it is phosphorus free or return it for one that does. Insects are extremely high in phosphorus and your chameleon can get it there as aposed to the supplement. Do your best to gut load your feeders. You can do several searches on this site to see what is good.

Flowing water down the leaves story? Not sure what you are referring too. If it is a waterfall, screw it unless you like cleaning alot.

To make sure of what kind of chameleon you actually have I would take a look at this site.
www.adcham.com

Last edited:
I believe you are referring to a drip system, which you can make for no money at all.
Get two delicups or other plastic containers of a decent size.
Cover the top of one with mesh and a rubberband or screen and hotglue (whatever works to keep crickets and chameleons out). This will be your collection container. Poke a pin sized hole in the bottom of the second container and fill with water. Set the 2nd container on top of the enclosure above some plants. As the water drips down over the plants you will see where it falls on the cage floor and be able to position your collection container. Depending on the size of your containers, you may need to fill 2 -3 times a day or less if they are larger.
Remember, no substrate...I think paper towels or newspaper are best.
It sounds like you are doing good research and that this little flapneck has found a much better home.
Good luck and welcome!

-Brad

Gr8 Gr8 Gr8

Thanks for the help, I've checked out the info on The chameleon's dish.... wowee its excellent, printed it all out and me and the gf have a nice project for the weekend.... Besides the dehydration which we're sorting out he's very healthy no signs of MBD (that I've seen) or any other of the signs I've read up about....

The only thing now is that he didn't eat this morning or afternoon but frm going through chameleons dish I've found we're really over dusting his crickets... Shame poor dude, I wouldn't eat it either and also I thought the more dusting the better but I read for a juvenile 3-5 times a week is fine and obviously over doing it can also be harmfull....

I'll take pictures soon and u guys can tell me what u think...

We got the cage with him and I thought it was quite nice, looks crappy to some of the "celeb cribs" some of u have for ur chamies...

Enjoy the weekend ppl, yeah!

I posted this in another thread you commented in before seeing this thread you started, so here it is again. From my limited experience with any C.delepis, they have a similar attitude to Veiled chameleons, but a bit more shy. Much smaller than a veiled but just as much grumpy attitude. They would do well in a fair sized cage planted densly with several varying types of 'safe vegitation'.
----

Chamaeleo dilepis complex By Steven Deckers
Adcham Species Profile Database: Chamaeleo (Chamaeleo) dilepis

This species group has a huge probability of being WC (Wild Caught) and so you should research into that aswell.
Chameleon Acclimation By Jason Descamps

Thanks

Thanks for all the info....

Let's hope my wild caught illegally kept chamy is happy after the weekend of mods...

Just some comments in addition to the information you have been given already...

If the chameleon gets direct sunlight every day or most days (not through glass or plastic) then there's a good chance it doesn't need extra D3. D3 from supplements can build up in the system, but from the sunlight it shouldn't....so just be careful that you don't overdo it.

Here's an interesting article about transmission of UVB through skin....
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/skintests.htm#discussion

Are you sure its a male?

Where will you be getting the insects from (a store or wild)?

We've set Fred up with what he needs now, got a timer so he's getting his basking lamp and repti glo 5.0 from 6 in the morning to 8 at night

We were worried since friday coz he wasn't eating but I think it was because we hadn't let him in the sun and didn't have the UVB lamp for him coz we found all the crickets he ate regurgitated in his enclosure (obviously couldn't digest them)

But now that he's getting sun he's eating at least 10 to 15 crickets a day.

We've decided to stick to the UVB lamp during the week and then put him into the sun on saturdays and sundays... We're only lightly dusting his food 3days a week with the calcium/d3 supplement.

We know he's a male coz he's got tarsal spurs and we only give him insects from the pet store (alothough we cuaght some moths for him when we first got him but since then I've read they may carry parasites so not doing that anymore)

Back
Top Bottom