Defensive Chameleon

mpotvin29

Hello!

I recently got a Panther Chameleon about a month ago. I’ve noticed he is very scared around me and will puff up or open his mouth when I try to approach him. I’ve tried several approaches to get him to trust me, but have struggled to earn his trust. Was wondering if you all had any tips or suggestions!

Hi and welcome. :) It will take time and lots of patience to build trust with your chameleon. Here’s a great blog that may help guide you.https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/ I like hand feeding to build and reinforce trust. I’m not a fan of holding many types of bugs, so pretty much stick to silkworms for this. Avoiding eye contact, remaining at a level where they are above you in height, moving slowly, avoiding the color red (it triggers some) and never grabbing them from above are all good practices. The environment of the room that your cham is in also matters. If there is a lot of traffic - human and other animals, this keeps them almost constantly on guard/stressed. Moving the enclosure to a calmer area with less traffic would be needed Of course, having good husbandry and good set up of the enclosure (lots of branches/vines, plants to hide in, etc) will also play a role in making your cham feel safe and secure.

Back
Top Bottom