Decreased stool on antibiotics?

celinann

I took my veiled chameleon to the vet about a month ago in response to some swelling in his neck area. Blood tests came back okay except for a raised white count that indicated infection. Still waiting on x-ray results. I started him on injections of ceftazidime every three days and am nearing the end of the prescribed amount and I noticed he has barely defecated at all in the past two weeks. There are a few droppings but they are very small. He also isn't drinking as much as he usually does. I gave him a shower yesterday to try to encourage him to defecate but it didn't help and he didn't even drink while in the shower. Interestingly enough, I filled his dripper with water after I put him back in his cage and he went and sat under it without drinking as if he wasn't ready for his shower to end. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with this drug and if it would cause this sort of problem. He seems to be okay otherwise, if slightly less active than normal. He is usually most active in the morning when I am away so it's hard to be sure. Any suggestions?

As long as his urates are staying white he's not dehydrated and thats of paramount importance. Esp while they are on meds. If he's not eatting because of the meds he's not going to poo that much. I'd just make sure he is drinking and staying hydrated. An adult cham can go a cpl of weeks without food and not suffer any debillitating effects its the hydration thats important. Try buying him some hornworms. They can stimulate appetites because of their body color and they offer a lot of hydration since they are full of water. ;) Silks are another option, just not as eye catching as horns are to the animal.

Its imperative to keep a chameleon hydrated when its on any antibiotic. They are almost all hard on the kidneys.

Thanks for your input. I took my guy back to the vet on Friday and they think he has some colonitis going on. Tests showed his white count was still elevated as well as some dehydration. They gave me a second antibiotic and some stool softener to facilitate emptying his colon and instructed me on exactly how much water he should be getting a day. Hoping to see some kind of improvement soon.

Antibiotics destroy beneficial bacteria as well as bad bacteria. That usually means they affect the digestion system because that's where a lot of good bacteria do their work.

Keep the water going in. I think that's your best tactic.

You might also consider some of the "poop inspiring" techniques people here have written about. One is to get the animal into natural sunlight. Another is to give it a shower.

Thanks Elizadolots. He has been acting normally otherwise since he developed the problem and the doctor didn't seem to be too worried so I'm hoping for a full recovery. I tried the shower bit the other day to no avail. I'm in Philadelphia and the temp hasn't gone past 50 in the past few weeks so I'm hoping for a warm day soon to take him "for a walk."

Back
Top Bottom