Deciphering Color and how to enhance it.

tkalawart

I've recentley had the great pleasure of recieving my panther ambilobe from kammers. He is amazing when he wants to be like almost neon blue and green and some yellow and reds and hes only 3 months old! But often he is a dark color almost black and not always when basking. Im experienced and my setup is more then adequate. He is drinking and eating and has a lot of energy. Im just wondering how I might be able to get him to have those relaxed georgous colors more often. Taking him outside is not an option unfortunatley. Go Michigan!

If anybody else reads this what Im wondering is. Will more or less lighting make him happier or possibly a low level fan for higher ventilation. Perhaps making it a little warmer? normal temps are at 73 with basking at 85. I dont think Ill paint him but thanks chuck. ;)

wait until he gets bigger and have a big cage, lots of plants, and a heat spot of 90 might do it plus great gutloading on the bugs you feed to your cham help alot on color and health

i was surprised Ed has 95 as a basking spot, i had that and got burn marks on zulu, so its 90 now, maybe its 95 overtime instead of right away, must have it a good distance from the cage to prevent burns im assuming

btw dont worry about chuck he just jokes and didnt mean or meant to hurt you in anyway

also some chams are just drabby or even not so great at rest and plain, we dont know all the secrets Ed and other breeders do to have their chams constantly colorful :) lol

he's little. just wait. big boy version will have the colors you seek

Oh he has great color already. :) I was just noticing that sometimes he was very bright and others he is very dark. Just wondering if you have techniques or setups that cultivate a very happy and bright cham. And I will take another reading of his basking temps to see if I am closer to 95

hmm. Im assuming you believe my inquiry was stupid. Ill just walk away now. "head down" :(

I didn't think your inquiry was stupid. We are all learning, including myself.
I saw an oppurtunity to make a joke as I often do. Trust me, the stupid is on my end! As far as your question. Kammerflage and any breeder including myself will put the best pic possible when selling a chameleon. Sometimes they will look like that and alot of times they won't. Plenty of factors come into play. If he is a new chameleon it will take a while to get used to his surroundings,that inludes in the cage and what he can see outside the cage.
He will keep getting better as they always do.

He won't be his 'happy colours' all the time as they darken to absorb heat as well as when they're grumpy lol

I bet he'll be a stunner when he's an adult! Just be patient and enjoy watching him grow and his colours develop ;)

Keep the pics coming! Xxx

Ace, I did the same thing and burned Krunch in like a couple hours.
that's why k side ambient not direct basking. When I temp them they are 86-88, when I check my temp prob the inside temp around basking is mid 90's
Anne

if you look at Kammers Care sheet they give you the basking for adults is 95-100 and 90-95 for youngsters.

I've recentley had the great pleasure of recieving my panther ambilobe from kammers. He is amazing when he wants to be like almost neon blue and green and some yellow and reds and hes only 3 months old! But often he is a dark color almost black and not always when basking. Im experienced and my setup is more then adequate. He is drinking and eating and has a lot of energy. Im just wondering how I might be able to get him to have those relaxed georgous colors more often. Taking him outside is not an option unfortunatley. Go Michigan!

hell yeah im from michigan too! and just make sure he has correct supplements and is hydrated:D

Ace, I did the same thing and burned Krunch in like a couple hours.
that's why k side ambient not direct basking. When I temp them they are 86-88, when I check my temp prob the inside temp around basking is mid 90's
Anne

Hmm.. I though that surface temps usually exceed the ambient air temperature?

Its a baby Chams job to NOT be seen and eaten. That being said it's in his/her best interest to be as drab as possible until they get a bit older.

I would think for as colorful as they are they would be poisonous or something. But they are probably quite tasty.

I didn't think your inquiry was stupid. We are all learning, including myself.
I saw an oppurtunity to make a joke as I often do. Trust me, the stupid is on my end! As far as your question. Kammerflage and any breeder including myself will put the best pic possible when selling a chameleon. Sometimes they will look like that and alot of times they won't. Plenty of factors come into play. If he is a new chameleon it will take a while to get used to his surroundings,that inludes in the cage and what he can see outside the cage.
He will keep getting better as they always do.
I know this is really old but I thought on adding to this as I am also concerned how chameleons look AWESOME sometimes and others just dull and dark… I guess that’s why they’re chameleons after all.

I’ve been fine tuning my cage to experiment and see if there is “something” namely, humidity levels, lighting intensity or other that will reflect on happier colors on my chams. So far the only ONLY thing I can “control” to pull out his best skin is when I put him under a warm shower mist in my bathroom. He will just become insanely bright and happy looking. Other than that, it’s a matter of pure luck or depending on the day. I think the social media pictures affect the way we see our animals.

I too become a little anxious after seeing the amazing kammerflage photos with these animals looking almost filter-ready, then I think about mine and the difference is enormous. I’ve played with the color inside the cages (dark, or white) to see if chameleons reflect or feel better inside brighter enclosures but there is really no difference but mood and their will to look in a certain way.

I know this is really old but I thought on adding to this as I am also concerned how chameleons look AWESOME sometimes and others just dull and dark… I guess that’s why they’re chameleons after all.

I’ve been fine tuning my cage to experiment and see if there is “something” namely, humidity levels, lighting intensity or other that will reflect on happier colors on my chams. So far the only ONLY thing I can “control” to pull out his best skin is when I put him under a warm shower mist in my bathroom. He will just become insanely bright and happy looking. Other than that, it’s a matter of pure luck or depending on the day. I think the social media pictures affect the way we see our animals.

I too become a little anxious after seeing the amazing kammerflage photos with these animals looking almost filter-ready, then I think about mine and the difference is enormous. I’ve played with the color inside the cages (dark, or white) to see if chameleons reflect or feel better inside brighter enclosures but there is really no difference but mood and their will to look in a certain way.
The biggest misconception in the chameleon-keeping hobby is what "happy colors" truly are. A chameleon that is truly content is a chameleon that is relaxed. A relaxed chameleon will have duller colors than the pictures posted by Kammerflauge or any other reptile breeder. Most people conflate a happy chameleon with "fired-up" colors that look visually appealing.

A chameleon that is showing off bright, beautiful colors is a chameleon that is not relaxed. They show off these brilliant colors to attract a mate, to fight off rival males (which can be mimicked by showing them their reflection in a mirror or camera lense), or when simply feeling threatened. When their colors are screaming with beauty, think of them actually screaming or yelling. They are not relaxed.

The problem with marketing chameleons by posting pictures of them fired up is that not many people know that the chameleon will not have these colors 24/7. These photos are purely used to sell chameleons.

No one should be trying to get their cham to show insanely bright colors. A relaxed chameleon is a chameleon that will live a long life.

I can add to this later if needed. Also, feel free to ask questions, but it sounds like your cham is doing well if he isn't fired up all the time. You can create a separate post if you want us to go through your care parameters to make sure everything else is on point.

This is not to say that your cham will never fire up naturally. It will happen, but it won't (or shouldn't) happen frequently.

The biggest misconception in the chameleon-keeping hobby is what "happy colors" truly are. A chameleon that is truly content is a chameleon that is relaxed. A relaxed chameleon will have duller colors than the pictures posted by Kammerflauge or any other reptile breeder. Most people conflate a happy chameleon with "fired-up" colors that look visually appealing.

A chameleon that is showing off bright, beautiful colors is a chameleon that is not relaxed. They show off these brilliant colors to attract a mate, to fight off rival males (which can be mimicked by showing them their reflection in a mirror or camera lense), or when simply feeling threatened. When their colors are screaming with beauty, think of them actually screaming or yelling. They are not relaxed.

The problem with marketing chameleons by posting pictures of them fired up is that not many people know that the chameleon will not have these colors 24/7. These photos are purely used to sell chameleons.

No one should be trying to get their cham to show insanely bright colors. A relaxed chameleon is a chameleon that will live a long life.

I can add to this later if needed. Also, feel free to ask questions, but it sounds like your cham is doing well if he isn't fired up all the time. You can create a separate post if you want us to go through your care parameters to make sure everything else is on point.

This is not to say that your cham will never fire up naturally. It will happen, but it won't (or shouldn't) happen frequently.
Totally agree! It can really get to our heads and that can lead to thinking our set up isn’t correct when in fact it is. I learned to accept this and to my benefit, my chams always show brighter when I interact with them which is a joy to watch really. I just let them be as long as they have all their needs covered 👍🏼👍🏼

Back
Top Bottom