Administrator
Staff member
Chameleon Photo Contest
:D December 2005
:D
view entries

Gift Certificate from: Chameleons Only :cool:

1st place: $50 gift certificate :eek:
If they prefer, overseas winners may choose a $40 Amazon gift certificate.

Chameleons Only offers more than high quality captive bred chameleons. In fact, I would not have offered this contest prize if they did not. They sell cages, supplies, and have a great collection of chameleon books/resources for sale.

How to enter the contest:
contest entry deadline: **
  • To submit your photo, click here.
  • Fill out the form and click submit.
  • You are welcome to change your submitted images anytime before the submission deadline.

Rules:
Please view the contest rules before submitting a photo. Click here to access the contest rules. The contest rules have recently been updated.

dates
entry deadline: jan 6 2006
voting: jan 7 2006 - jan 19 2006
voting by judges: jan 20 2006 - jan 21 2006
contest results will be announced on jan 22 2006

**Update:
The turnout for the contest has been lower than expected. I have added a new rule to the contest process: Each contest must have a minimum of 10 eligible photos before voting can begin. The contest dates above will be updated as soon as the photo entry phase is over.

Note:
Please review the contest rules. I am going to start enforcing them more, especially the rule on signs of improper husbandry. Also, future contests might not always have a prize of this value.

The Chameleon Forums reserves the right to modify these rules at any time. Please check this thread often if you are participating in the contest. Feel free to reply to this thread with questions if you have them. In the case where the rules are changed, the prize(s) listed above will remain the same.

Last edited:
Because of the low turnout, I have made some changes to this and future contests. The photo entry phase will not end until there are a minimum of 10 eligible photos.

Also, I want to remind everyone that chameleon photos showing poor signs of husbandry will be removed. There are only two photos submitted thus far, and both are questionable. There is a chance they will be removed before voting begins. Each member can remove/edit photos in the contest until the photo entry phase ends.

I just noticed the Veiled in the contest so far is in a glassed enclosure.:mad: I can't wait till January comes up so I can participate in the next one!! :D

I notice we have 10 entrants now. I must say there is a good selection of photos submitted - I already know which one I'll be voting for!
Opti, in defense of the Veiled chameleon photo, it isn't clear from the photo if he is kept in an aquarium or just a glass fronted vivarium. I myself use glass fronted vivariums. My vivs are wood with mesh roofs and mesh underneath the glass sliding doors. The Veiled chameleon in the photo in question looks healthy and IMO the photo is actually very good.

Oh wow, I did not notice we had 10 photos already. All of them are nice chameleon pics. Voting may not begin until this weekend. I am leaving for the Rose Bowl tomorrow and may not have the time to setup voting before then. I will post here when photo submissions are no longer being accepted and voting has begun.

\m/ ^_^ \m/

some helpful links:
contest gallery

There are a lot of great photos in this contest!

I will be emailing all registered members tomorrow to try and get as many votes as possible. Also, if you are a previous winner and would like to be a judge for this contest, please send me a private message.

Last edited:
Public voting has ended. The judges will be given a couple days to do their thing, and the winner will be announced no later than Sunday (jan 22). In order to prevent any confusion, the public results will not be shown until a winner is announced. A lot of great photos in this contest.

Judges: Please check your private messages :)

Update:
I am still waiting on the rankings from 1 judge. We have three judges for this contest. If I do not receive the results by this evening, I will act as a substitute judge. Either way, the final results will be posted this evening. :)

Last edited:
The Results​

dec_05_1st.gif

1st place: JonathanF
Species: Furcifer Pardalis
Common: Panther Chameleon (Nosy Be)
Sex: Male
Name: Zéphir

dec_05_2nd_a.gif

2nd place: Heika
Common: Panther Chameleon (??)
Name: Spencer

dec_05_2nd_b.gif

2nd place: geckowrangler
Common: Panther Chameleon (??)
Name: ??

If you are not familiar with how the contest works, please review the [THREAD=102]contest rules[/THREAD].

open member vote
The top ranked photos from the open member voting received the following points:
photo 10: 5 pts
photo 13: 3 pts
photo 01: 1 pts
photo 09: 1 pts

judge rankings
We had three judges this month: Chamgirl, AlexF, and myself. The judges, in no specific order, gave the following rankings:
judge1:
photo 10 => 3 pts
photo 01 => 2 pts
photo 09 => 1 pts

judge2:
photo 10 => 3pts
photo 08 => 2pts
photo 13 => 1pts

judge3:
photo 10 => 3pts
photo 09 => 2pts
photo 08 => 1pts

point totals
photo 10 - JonathanF: 14 pts
photo 09 - Heika: 04 pts
photo 13 - geckowrangler: 04 pts
photo 01 - dodgen: 03 pts
photo 08 - nosferatu: 03 pts

congratulations to the winners :) :D
medals have been awarded

Last edited:
Well I am delighted that two of my three choices made it! Looking at the results I am surprised ArrowHawks Senegal didn't recieve a single vote:( That was a gorgeous photo and it was very nearly in my top three.
Well done to JonathanF - very clear winner and my favourite the moment I saw it! Beautiful Zephir:D

Last edited:
Chamgirl said:
Looking at the results I am surprised ArrowHawks Senegal didn't receive a single vote. That was a gorgeous photo and it was very nearly in my top three.
I really liked that photo as well and almost voted for it. The reason it did not make my top 3 was that it seems the full chameleon was not in focus. In previous months it probably would have received a medal, but the competition this time was tough.

There were a lot of excellent photos that did not get many votes. I want to ensure everyone that you do not need a panther chameleon with beautiful colors to win the contest. Judges look for more than coloration. For future reference, I have listed below a few general reasons why I did not vote on some of the photos:
  • A closeup photo is preferable
  • A well focused photo is important
  • Signs or hints of possible poor husbandry techniques are a negative

Back
Top Bottom