dead silkworms?

wendysjungle

Well, I ordered silkworms from a private party and am not sure they shipped well. Today I received a grat big stinky ball of frass with worms embedded in it, and have spent the past hour trying to extract the worms from the sticky ball. I now have maybe a dozen moving worms, and a pile of smelly, frass coated worms that aren't moving at all. Anything I can do here? I'm assuming rinsing is a no no, but do I assume anything unmoving is dead? I've never had silkworms before, so do I toss the ones that aren't moving, or wait for a Great Worm Revival???

Try tapping the container. If it moves, it's alive. If not, it's dead or nearing death

Oh, I've done much more than tap! These thing are absolutely COATED in frass, just a giant smelly mass all stuck together. I just didn't know if they go through any growth stages where they don't move, as these are all young, less than 1 inch, and I didn't want to toss them if they are possibly alive when unmoving.

12 movers extracted, everybody else is laying around on their frass. :eek:

Sorry to tell you this but If there not moving there probably dead. Usually when there dead they stink and look a little wet.

Brian

Well they definitely stink, but I assumed that was due to the giant ball of poop they are stuck in. Can't tell if they are wet, they are too coated with frass and I am trying to dry everything out so the frass falls off and I can see if there are any more live ones. This is seriously gross. :mad:

Yea, if they aren't moving then they are done. Just pick out the ones that are. I get mine shipped from the west coast occassionally (mulberry farms) and they normally make it here Priority no problem, though I have had one get lost in the mail for a few days and that greatly affected the number that were alive. How were they shipped??? USPS Priority is the most common. Did they get lost in the mail a few days?

-chris

No, shipped priority mail form Georgia on Thursday and arrived here in Washington today, so the weekend added an extra transit day, but that's about all. How are they normally packaged? I wonder if that could be the problem.

No, shipped priority mail form Georgia on Thursday and arrived here in Washington today, so the weekend added an extra transit day, but that's about all. How are they normally packaged? I wonder if that could be the problem.

I just shipped 150 to a form member, but I went ahead and did express shipping because of the weekend, even though he was located in the same state as me. They all arrived alive. I think it was the weakend and the heat that got them.

Brian

Normally they are in deli cups with chow on the bottom with a screen on the lid. Then they are put in a box with peanuts and away they go.

-chris

These were in one of those disposable flat tupperware containers, slightly longer than sandwich sized, lid sealed tight with no airholes and a piece of coated wire grate (not screen) inside. This was sealed in a cardboard box with plastic grocery bags for padding. Did they maybe just suffocate?

Back
Top Bottom