Dead feeders

rpgamer97

I came home to both my cricket and mealworm colonies dead. Not really sure what happened. Had gut load, water and cricket quencher, egg cartons in with the crickets. Oats, carrots, and dog food in with the mealworms. They lasted about 2 weeks starting at 1000 crickets and 50 mealworms.

First, you shouldn't have been using dog food, its not a good gutload.
Second, how hot were they?

Read online to use dog food, but alright won't use again. They were not heated, the room is like 60-65 at night and 75 during day

If crickets were adults, it could be that they died of old age. But it's really hard to kill mealworms. Sounds like some kind of contamination.

Like said above, it sounds like some sort of contamination issue if they were not heated. Maybe something in the food/water or something you sprayed in the air? Or something you might have cleaned the tubs with?

If crickets were adults, it could be that they died of old age. But it's really hard to kill mealworms. Sounds like some kind of contamination.

I'll second that.
Perhaps there is a pesticide or larvacide that contaminated the dog food before you received it or if someone sprayed an insecticide in the house/apartment to kill another type of insect , it could have killed the feeders.

Here is some useful info about feeders and how to make them more nutritious for your chams.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/food/

Back
Top Bottom