Dead Crickets

kylocats

We had gotten 50 2 week old crickets for Cammy when we finally brought her home. The local pet store said they only had 3 week old crickets .. so we bought them.. they did seem a bit big for cammy (9 weeks old)Anyway my son and I fed her 4 at a time. We did our morning feed and then when to give her more and all the crickets were dead? Does anyone have any ideas. We had purcharsed them the day before and were told told that they were 3 week old crickets.. Well I do not know much about crickets yet but I thought they were pretty big. Pet store said they were the smallest they had.
We feed the crickets fruit and the gel water and gutload food that we purchased when we first brought Cammy home.
I would like to hear some options on what you think?
Thanks in advance

Did you have them in a closed container? Crickets do well with a lot of ventilation. It seems like too much humidity and not enough air kills there quickest here. I mostly use an oversized tupperware container with the lid and sides completely cut out and screened and it seems to work well. I have also found that a layer of baby cereal in the bottom helps them to not trample each other to death as much, as well as plenty of egg carton pieces.

Good luck.

I have found that cricket life is luck of the draw. Sometimes i will buy a batch and they will last for weeks, other times, they will all be dead in a few days. I know it has a lot to do with temperature, and space (as they tend to trample each other and are little cannibals)

I have found that cricket life is luck of the draw. Sometimes i will buy a batch and they will last for weeks, other times, they will all be dead in a few days. I know it has a lot to do with temperature, and space (as they tend to trample each other and are little cannibals)

i experience the same thing some seem to last forever other die in days i even called the pet shop a few times to see if they were getting alot of dead loss. at least they r cheap LOL

for my crickets i use a 20 gal tank, screen top. 25 or so toilet paper rolls and 4 paper towl rolls, 3 lil dishes ( lunch meat )with dirt for eggs, small dish with papertowls for water, 2 small dish with thier food, 1 wet food ( fruits veggies ) 1 dry food. non dirt dish side 75, dirt side 85.
i keep around 150 full size crickets in there and only have 1-2 die every few weeks.
i replace the paper towls every 3 days but keep it wet at all times for them to drink and put new dirt dishes in every 7-8 days.
i put the old dirt dishes in a 10 gal for 2 weeks to see if the eggs hatch or not. if they dont i put them back in the 20 gal.
i would think the humidy in my tank is verry low cuz i have to water the dirt every other day or it drys out too much and kills all the eggs.

to get them out i take 1 roll out at a time and check it for crickets, no cricket i set it aside if cricket is in it i hold it so the holes are at top and bottem to let the poop fall out then i knock the cricket in to a bag. just like if u were to get one of them lil cricket cages with the black tubes but i had too many die in them things.

Attachments

• IMG_1166.JPG
    IMG_1166.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 118
Back
Top Bottom